Current Students
Faculty and Staff

Future Students

IRS Retrieval Tool

The "IRS Data Retrieval" process is available for families filing their initial FAFSA applications. Families who file their initial FAFSA with "estimated income" can also use this process to update their original FAFSA data once their tax forms have been completed.

  • Electronically filed tax return information will be available online from the IRS site in 1-2 weeks after the return has been filed.
  • Data from paper tax returns will be available in 6-8 weeks.

You or your parents should not use the IRS Match if:

  • Parents with all zeros for Social Security Numbers
  • Students using an 888 identifier in place of a Social Security number
  • Any student or parent with a marital status date later than the first of the year
  • Any student or parent who indicates they have not yet filed or will not file a tax return
  • Parents with a tax status of “married filing separately”
  • Students or parents who filed an amended tax return

If you are unable to participate in the match or cannot download your information, you will need to request a Tax Return Transcript from the IRS to submit to our office.  Please make sure that it is signed.

Instructions for using the FAFSA “IRS Data Retrieval”:

  • Go to to make a correction/update to your FAFSA. Families must actively choose to utilize the data retrieval tool. If they choose to do so, they will be transferred to the Internal Revenue Service web site.
  • Applicants will need to authenticate their identity before any person information is displayed.
  • Tax data will be presented and the applicant will have the option to “Transfer” the tax information to the FAFSA. Applicants can also choose NOT to transfer the data to the FAFSA. Transferred data will have a notation - “Transferred from the IRS"