The Writing Center provides continuous help to students from all disciplines. Tutors provide assistance in preparing written assignments, help in understanding errors on graded assignments, and additional training in grammar, punctuation, and usage.
Arnold Campus: Library 108 PDF
Arundel Mills Campus: AMIL 204
Monday through Thursday: 9 a.m.-8 p.m.
Friday: 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
New Saturday Hours! 9 a.m. - 2 p.m.
Arundel Mills Campus:
Monday 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Tuesday: 1:30 - 6:30 p.m.
Wednesday 11 a.m. - 2 p.m. and 3-5 p.m.
Thursday 1:30-4:30 p.m.
Friday 12-2 p.m.
Call Professor Jessica Rabin at 410-777-2118 for additional information.
Functions of the Writing Center:
- Tutors will read some or all of a student’s work and indicate problems in unity, coherence, grammar, punctuation, and mechanics.
- Tutors will show students how to repair errors.
- Tutors will provide follow-up exercises in specific problem areas, if requested by the student or the student’s teacher.
- Tutors will help students to develop thesis statements through a process of
directed discussion in which the student, rather than the tutor, will arrive at an appropriate thesis statement.
- Tutors will provide information on proper documentation style for research-paper sources.
- Tutors will raise questions regarding conformity with assignments.
What Writing Center Tutors Will Not Do:
- correct errors
- create thesis statements or topic sentences
Since tutoring sessions are limited to 30 minutes when other students are waiting, students should come to the Writing Center with:
- Specific questions
- A copy of the assignment
- A draft of the paper, preferably typed and double spaced