"The ESL Program gave me the academic foundation to become a regular student at AACC. In 2001, I graduated from AACC with a 4.0 GPA and was that year's valedictorian. Then I went to the University of Maryland where I received a Bachelor of Arts degree and graduated cum laude. Thank you ESL for giving me a good head start."
- Svetlana, ESL graduate and Valedictorian AACC class of 2001
All ESL students must meet with an ESL advisor before registering for classes.
Attention New Students!
Before registering, new students must submit an application to the Admissions and Enrollment Development Office. After submitting an application new students must take the ESL placement test in the Testing Center.
English as a Second Language
Who is eligible to attend English as a Second Language (ESL) classes?
Anyone 16 years or older whose native language is not English. Students must have a valid visa or be a resident or U.S. citizen.
How will I register for ESL classes and where?
1. First fill out an admissions application online or in person at any of the AACC campus locations: Student Services Center, first floor, on the Arnold Campus, Glen Burnie Town Center, or Arundel Mills.
2. Take the ESL placement test at the testing center. This test is free and does not require an appointment.
3. Bring your test results and talk with an advisor at the ESL office on the Arnold campus, Johnson Building, room 206, about the classes you should take.
4. Sign up for classes by filling out the class registration form at the following locations:
- ESL office, Johnson Building, room 206 (Arnold Campus), 410-777-2901
- Glen Burnie Town Center, room 217 (Glen Burnie Campus), 410-777-2945
- Arundel Mills, room 105, (Arundel Mills Campus), 410-777-2010
5. Pay course tuition costs online, by mail, by phone, or in person at any of the 3 AACC campus locations.
What if I don't currently live in the United States and would like to attend ESL classes at AACC? Please see the admissions information pertaining to international students.
Can a high school student attend ESL classes?
Yes, with the permission from the school’s principal. A student must submit a concurrent enrollment form.
Who is able eligible to take English Basic Skills?
Anyone, who is 16 years of age or older and whose native language is not English.
How do I register?
You may register in the classroom under the supervision of the instructor. Please see the Noncredit Schedule of Classes for class locations and times.