Feb. 2, 2011
Arnold, Md. —On Wednesday, Feb. 9, 2011, students representing all 16 Maryland community colleges – including 15 from Anne Arundel Community College – will speak with one voice at the state capital to urge lawmakers to support the full funding of community colleges in the Governor’s FY2012 budget. A welcome and college rally will kick off at 9 a.m. in the Joint Hearing Room, Legislative Services Building, Annapolis, Md. (see tentative agenda below).
The Student Advocacy Day call to action centers on the theme of “Support=Success” because community colleges can only help more citizens be successful if there is greater state support. Students will emphasize support of the funding formula for the amount of state aid granted to each college, an increase in the state’s share of the cost of community college education, and support of capital requests at community colleges throughout the state.
Students will also raise awareness of the benefits of community colleges to Marylanders, including:
- Community colleges award 12,000 associate degrees or program certificates annually.
- More than 500,000 Marylanders enroll annually in one of Maryland’s 16 community colleges.
- The federal and state governments are relying on Maryland’s 16 community colleges to help—
- Put people back to work;
- Retrain employees in needed areas;
- Give high school graduates a quality education at a time when it is difficult to enroll immediately in a four-year institution.
- Maryland’s community colleges continue to cost less than half the tuition at any of Maryland’s four-year public colleges or universities.
Student testimonials are at the heart of the Student Advocacy Day efforts. Experience student testimonials, visit MACC or http://www.facebook.com/MDACC beginning on Feb. 9.
Each year, Student Advocacy Day is organized by Maryland’s 16 community colleges to allow student leaders to interact with their state legislators in Annapolis and to share their concerns. Student advocacy also takes place throughout the year as community college student leaders make their voices heard in a variety of forums.
Student Advocacy Day
Wednesday, Feb. 9, 2011
Joint Hearing Room, Legislative Services Building
8:45 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
Dr. Richard Midcap, Vice President, Chesapeake College
8:45 a.m. – 9 a.m. – Arrive at the Joint Hearing Room
9-9:15 a.m. – Welcome and College Rally – Dr. Richard Midcap
9:15 – 9:30 a.m. – Department of Legislative Services – Patricia Harrison
9:30 a.m. – 10 a.m. – Introduction of Elected Officials – Clay Whitlow, MACC Executive Director
Addresses from Elected Officials
- Senator V. Thomas “Mike” Miller, President of the Senate
- Senator Richard Madaleno, Chair of the Senate Subcommittee on Health, Education & Human Development
- Delegate John Bohanan, Chair of the House Subcommittee on Education & Economic Development
- Delegate Melony Griffth, Member of the House Appropriations Subcommittee on Education and Economic Development
10 – 10:15 a.m. –Message from the Presidents’ Council – Dr. Carol Eaton, Chair of the Community College
Presidents and President of Frederick Community College
10:15 a.m. – 10:30 a.m. – Student Speaker – Angela Majors, College of Southern Maryland
10:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. – Meetings with Senators and Delegates
Appointments scheduled by community colleges and legislators prior to Student Advocacy Day.