April 2, 2014
Anne Arundel Community College is celebrating National Volunteer Week, April 7-12 with its own AACC Campus That Cares. People can make a difference in our community, become civically engaged and work side-by-side while getting to know one another better by volunteering for one of several activities.
Choose from on-campus and off-campus projects focused on education, environment, health, literacy, military, poverty, women and youth. Preregistration is not necessary to participate. For details and specific dates, visit the Campus That Cares
page. If you would like to bring a group or customize a volunteer experience, email Stephanie Goldenberg
, program coordinator.
The week’s activities were organized by the Center for Learning through Service, part of the Sarbanes Center for Public and Community Service. Some of the events include:
All week (ongoing drives)
Donate books to B.I.G. (Books for International Goodwill) – Collection boxes will be in all buildings or email firstname.lastname@example.org
to schedule a donation pickup.
• Donate cell phones and accessories to Cell Phones for Soldiers in the Careers Center building (CRSC) Room 314.
Monday, April 7
• 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Attend a Baby Shower for IMA World Health – Donate Ivory bar soap, baby blankets, hats, onesies or wash cloths for Safe Motherhood Kits in the AACC Student Union dining hall, Arnold campus
Tuesday, April 8
• 10 a.m. to noon Clean up the AACC Walking Path and Stream – Meet at the outside entrance to the AACC Bookstore, Arnold campus.
• 2 to 4 p.m. (two-hour commitment) Participate in the United Way Walk a Mile Experience – Hands-on activity that illustrates the struggles of individuals living at or near poverty level and provides resources for overcoming crises. Donate non-perishable food to support Food Link Maryland, held in Center for Applied Learning and Technology (CALT) Room 100.
Wednesday, April 9
• 9 to 11 a.m. Clean up Harmans Park – Held off-campus near AACC’s Center for Cyber and Professional Training (CCPT) and AACC at Arundel Mills (AMIL) in Hanover.
• 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Donate blood to benefit Anne Arundel Medical Center in the Student Union Dining Hall on the Arnold campus during the AACC Health Fair.
• 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Donate to support Safe Motherhood Kits – Visit the IMA World Health Table in the Student Union dining hall on the Arnold campus during the AACC Health Fair.
Thursday, April 10
• 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Support the AACC Truck Pull by volunteering in hourly shifts to assist with activities and relays, AACC Arnold campus, Parking Lot C.
Friday, April 11
• 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. Support the AACC Child Development Center’s Trike-a-Thon for St. Jude’s Children’s Research Hospital – Cheer, help pull wagons, assist trike riders, buy lemonade, etc., held outside of the Child Development Center.
• Noon to 2 p.m. Create thank you cards for our troops through Operation Welcome Home, held in the Student Union dining hall on the Arnold campus.
Saturday, April 12
• 9 to 11 a.m. Clean up and plant flowers at Twin Oaks Park – Sponsored by the AACC PSSO Community Service Committee, the park is off-campus near the Arnold campus.