Carrying a whistle or noisemaker is a wise safety precaution. Whistles can alert anyone in the area that you need help, and a whistle cannot be used against you in an attack. For more information on the College’s whistle defense program and to obtain a whistle stop by or call the Public Safety Office at (410) 777-2440
Here are some tips on when to use a whistle.
If you fear trouble:
1. Run to a safe, well lit area.
2. Blow your whistle loudly.
If you are confronted while on campus:
- Don’t panic – staying calm is you best defense.
- Blow your whistle for help as soon as you can.
- Report the circumstances to the Department of Public Safety by dialing 1818 from a campus phone or use the nearest Blue Light Emergency Telephone or directly to the police by dialing 911.
If you observe trouble while on campus:
- Call the Department of Public Safety & Police by dialing 1818 from a campus phone, or use the nearest Blue Light Emergency Telephone (or directly to the police by dialing 911).
- Keep a safe distance.
- Blow you whistle if trouble approaches.
- Do not try to capture or physically detain an individual.
If you hear a whistle while on campus:
- Call 1818 from a campus phone or use the nearest Blue Light Emergency Telephone (or directly to the police by dialing 911).
- Give pertinent information---where, when, what, who, and how.
REMEMBER: IF YOU ARE NOT ON CAMPUS AND YOU NEED IMMEDIATE HELP, CALL THE COUNTY POLICE BY DIALING 911.