Adjunct Professor of Nutrition
Joined AACC in 2013
B.S. in Dietetics, University of Wisconsin - Stevens Point
M.S. in Nutritional Science, UW-Stevens Point
Ph.D. in Continuing and Vocational Education, UW-Madison
Maternal and Child Nutrition (online course)
Supervised Practice in Medical Nutrition Therapy and Community Nutrition
Medical Nutrition Therapy I
Medical Nutrition Therapy II
- Teaching and learning in the face-to-face and online environment
- Childhood obesity
- Collaborative learning among interdisciplinary team members in skilled nursing facilities
- Motivational interviewing in the nutrition counseling setting
- Geriatric nutrition
- Legislation and reflective practices in teaching and learning
Awards and Recognitions:
- Outstanding Teacher of the Year finalist, College of Education, Health and Human Sciences, 2010-2011
- Outstanding Teacher of the Year finalist, College of Education, Health and Human Sciences, UW-Stout, undergraduate and graduate, 2009-2010
- Outstanding Teacher of the Year Nominee, College of Human Development, UW-Stout, 2007-2008
- Outstanding Teaching and Service Award, Chancellor of UW-Stout Award, 2007-2008
- Outstanding Teacher of the Year Finalis, College of Human Development, 2005
- Outstanding Teaching and Learning Award, College of Human Development, UW-Stout, 2004-2005
- Outstanding Advisor of the Year, UW-Stout Student Dietetics Club, 2004
- Wasniewski, G., Seaborn, C., Schmidt, C and Nyland, R. “Gluten-free and casein-free diets as am alternative form of treatment for autistism spectrum disorders.” JADA, abstract, Vol 110, no. 9, September, 2010
- Schmidt, C. and Knudsen, L. (Spring, 2009) “An Update about learning experiences, inside and outside of the classroom, that assist dietetic students in achieving competencies.” The Digest; Research practice group of the American Dietetic Associaiton.
- Schmidt, C. and Verdegan, L. ( Fall, 2007). "Learning experiences inside and outside of the classroom that assist students in achieving competencies." Dietetic Educators of Practitioners.
- Buergermeister, J., Harris, E., and Schmidt, C. (2006). "Using best practices and the Digital Environment to teach computer applications for hospitality." Information Technology in Hospitality, Vol 4.
- Graff, A., Schmidt, C., Biggerstaff, E., Seaborn, C. (2008). Food Variety and Quality of Life in Congregate meal participants in Dunn County, WI. Food and Nutrition Conference, Chicago, preceding of ADA journal abstract.
- Rott, C., Seaborn, C., Schmidt, C. , Taffalla, R., Pejsa, J. (2008). An eight week mindful eating education program increases self-efficacy and weight loss. Food and Nutrition Conference, Chicago, preceding of ADA journal abstract.
- Knowledge and skill performance of dietetic students in motivational interviewing at UW-Stout. Sitges, Spain. Invited presenter, June 2009.
- Health Behavior Change Experiential Activity, Motivational Interviewer Training Forum, Albuquerque, New Mexico, October 2008.
- Learning experiences inside and outside of the classroom, UW-Stout, Scholarship of Teaching and learning conference, May 2007.
- Learning experiences in the area of problem based learning in dietetic students, Teaching for a change Conference, Park City, Utah, June 2007.
- “Using best practices and the digital environment to teach computer applications for hospitality”, Dallas, Tx, and published online in Review of e-Tourism Research, June 2004.