Back to Top

Frequently Asked Questions about Transferring from AACC

What schools are in the University System of Maryland?

If I complete my associate degree, will all my courses transfer?

Not necessarily. Even with a completed degree, courses other than those meeting General Education Requirements will be evaluated individually to determine transferability.

If I only take general education requirements, can I ensure an efficient transfer to a four-year college or university?

In the University System of Maryland, universities do transfer recognized general education courses from community colleges; however, to take just any courses in this category may not be efficient and often can result in a poor transfer.

If I complete my associate degree and then transfer, will I be considered a junior and need only two more years to complete my degree?

Not necessarily. A completed associate degree does not guarantee junior standing. In order to reach junior standing, you need 60 transferable credits. Junior standing also does not necessarily mean you will need only two more years to complete your degree. This is accomplished when your associate degree is comprised of courses that meet general education requirements and discipline requirements specified by the major at your chosen transfer institution.

Do I need a minimum 2.0 GPA for my degree to transfer?

The minimum grade point average to qualify for transfer to colleges within the University System of Maryland is a 2.0 for students who have completed an associate of arts or an associate of science degree. There is no guarantee as to acceptance into the college or university of your choice. Acceptance can hinge on space availability at the college or university in question. There is also the possibility you will not be accepted for your preferred term. To be accepted into some limited enrollment programs within those universities, you will need a higher grade point average. Colleges and universities outside of the University System of Maryland may require students to have GPAs higher than a 2.0. A higher grade point average will provide you with many more opportunities and possibilities to transfer.

Do I need a minimum 2.0 or “C” grade for my course to transfer?

That varies by course and institution. Within the University System of Maryland, the minimum grade for general education courses is determined by the sending institution. The minimum grade for courses that are not general education is determined by the receiving institution. The Code of Maryland Regulations requires that for the English composition course to transfer, the grade must be a “C-“ or better. The minimum grade for colleges and universities outside of the University System of Maryland is normally a 2.0 or "C."

Can I transfer to schools other than those in the University System of Maryland?

Absolutely. AACC is a regionally accredited institution and most general education courses are transferable, but how they transfer and whether they meet your graduation requirements will vary from college to college.

When should I transfer from Anne Arundel Community College?

You may transfer at any time provided you meet the four-year institution’s admission requirements. Typically, you must meet minimum credit and grade point average requirements which vary from institution to institution.

Will my financial aid transfer from AACC to another institution?

In general, you should be eligible for similar financial aid at the transfer school, but you should verify the requirements at your transfer school. Be sure to file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) every year for the next academic year and include your transfer school’s FAFSA code. If you transfer in the middle of the academic year, you must notify AACC to make sure any loans that already have been processed are canceled for the remaining portion of the academic year to avoid a three- to six-week delay in the funds being reissued to your new school.

What is the maximum number of credits I can transfer?

Generally, four-year institutions will award transfer credit for one-half of the baccalaureate program but not more than 70 credits.

What is the difference between a transfer agreement and an articulation agreement?

It means the same. Articulations are agreements developed between Anne Arundel Community College and four-year institutions for the purpose of maximizing the number of credits students can transfer. Each articulation agreement specifies how the coursework taken at AACC applies to the baccalaureate degree program at the four-year institution. Consult with an academic advisor or this website for a list of current articulated programs.

What is a dual enrollment agreement?

It is an agreement between Anne Arundel Community College and a four-year school that allows students to be enrolled at AACC and a four-year school simultaneously and take courses at both institutions.

What is the advantage to completing an associate degree before transferring to a four-year school?

Maryland community college students who have completed an associate degree and have a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or higher shall not be denied direct transfer to a Maryland public four-year institution. However, no guarantee exists that the student will be admitted to the college or university of their choice or that they will be admitted in the term they wish to transfer.

If I transfer prior to completing program requirements, can I still earn an associate degree from Anne Arundel Community College?

Yes! There is a statewide agreement whereby up to 45 credits a student earns toward a bachelor’s degree at any public four-year higher education institution in the state are transferrable to any community college in the state for credit toward an associate degree. It’s called reverse transfer.

What should I do if my courses do not transfer as I expected?

If you believe that the receiving institution has denied transfer of credits that were appropriate, contact the receiving institution's transfer coordinator within 20 working days of receiving the denial of credit to submit an appeal for reconsideration. If the appeal is denied, the student may request that the transfer coordinator of the sending institution intercede. A complete explanation of the appeal process and student's rights is in the Student Transfer Policy.