Are you the first person in your family to go to college or maybe you’re looking for a little extra help in building a solid foundation for success in college? Join AACC’s First Year Experience program and let us help you grow and learn in a supportive and caring environment.
- Eligible FYE/SASP students receive an incentive scholarship and/or developmental course scholarship of up to $1,000 an academic year in addition to the following services!
- Connect with other students in the program as you participate in activities as a group.
- Meet regularly with faculty and staff who can help you identify and overcome barriers to your success.
- Learn about valuable campus resources and services that will enable you to succeed.
- Gain access to peer tutoring and college tutors.
- Register before other students to ensure you get the classes you need at the times that work for you.
Once you meet the requirements to join, here’s what you need to do:
- Participate in weekly tutoring and study groups as well as faculty-led lab sessions.
- Meet regularly – as in often! – with your First Year Experience advisors and mentors. They are committed to you and expect you to be committed as well.
How do you join?
It seems like a lot of steps, but we’ll help you along the way and you’ll be glad you did it!
- Apply to the college.
- Attend a First Year Experience Information Session.
- Complete First Year Experience application (fillable form instructions).
- Schedule an interview with FYE advisor.
- Sign FYE commitment contract.
- Register for courses including the First Year Experience designated sections of "Student Success" (ACA 100). You’ll learn note-taking, memorizing, time management and more.
- Attend new student orientation.
Consider attending the First Year Experience Summer Transition program!