8 oz. heavy cream
8 oz. Semi-sweet or dark chocolate
1 oz. Dark Rum or other liqueur (optional)
1. Chop the chocolate into small pieces and place in a bowl.
2. In a medium saucepan over low heat, bring the heavy cream to a boil. Be careful to watch and not to boil the cream over onto the stove.
3. As soon as the cream has boiled, pour it over the chopped chocolate and allow to stand for 2-3 minutes to melt the chocolate.
4. Using a whisk, gently stir the mixture until it forms a smooth, uniform mass. It will be evenly combined but very liquid at this point. Stir in the liqueur if desired.
5. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and set the ganache aside for 3-4 hours to cool and thicken.
6. Store, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
7. To reheat, microwave on low power until softened and spreadable.