To apply for student loans and most federal and state grants, you must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Most grants and Federal Work-study funds are only available to students who demonstrate financial need. The Federal Work-study program helps students earn money for school expenses.
Student loans are available to students with or without financial need, but you must file a FAFSA. There is no credit check, but you must meet the General Eligibility Requirements
. Students who show financial need may qualify for a Subsidized Stafford Loan which is interest free during school for students who meet the enrollment criteria. The Unsubsidized Stafford Loan does not require financial need, but it is not interest free during school.
1. Review the General Eligibility Requirements.
2. Review the available Financial Aid Programs.
3. If you are a new student, apply for admission to AACC. Make sure your Social Security number is provided on the application. If it needs to be updated, please take a copy of your Social Security Card to the Records Office to have your information updated.
4. Submit a FAFSA. Our School Code is 002058.
- Apply after January 1 for the coming school year.
- You must file your FAFSA before March 1 to be considered for most state aid programs.
- If you are transferring to another school, get their FAFSA deadline from their financial aid web site. Some schools have/had February deadlines.
- If the FAFSA requests your parent's financial data and you have trouble obtaining this data, please review the dependency status regulations.
- The FAFSA bases your financial need on last year's income data. If your annual income has significantly decreased or you have other special financial issues or changes, please read about Special Circumstances.
5. Register for your courses.
AACC FAFSA Processing Deadlines are August 15th for the Fall semester and January 15th for the Spring semester. If your FAFSA is received on or after the deadline, you MUST make the required down payment at the time of registration. Financial aid for the Summer semester must be awarded prior to your registration or you must submit the required down payment on the day you register for Summer classes. You can check your award status online through your MyAACC account.
6. Apply for other sources of aid:
7. Review your Student Aid Report (SAR).
One to two weeks after you submit your FAFSA, the federal processor will email you a SAR to the email provided on the FAFSA. Carefully review it and make sure that all information is correct. If there are errors you can make corrections online. They will also send your SAR data to all the schools listed on your FAFSA. If your SAR does not list AACC, go online and add our school code (002058).
8. Respond to any requests for additional documents.
Once we receive your data from the Department of Education, our office will review your file. If there are any eligibility issues, we will request additional documentation. Please read our notices carefully and respond promptly to all requests. Delays can lead to lost aid! You will need to log in to your MyAACC Account for specific information about these issues, and to download the required forms. Under the “Self Services” tab, select the “Requested Financial Aid Documents” option. Print, complete and sign all requested forms and submit them to our office for processing. If you are a new MYAACC user, you will need to set-up a user name or password using the Password Management Tool. Your application will not be complete until we have received and reviewed all your documents.
9. Wait for an Award Notification.
Once your application is complete, we will email you an Award Notification. You may also receive this notice in the mail. We usually start sending notices for the next academic year (Fall-Spring-Summer) in June. To view your awards on-line, please log-in to MyAACC. Under the “Self Services” tab, select “Financial Aid Awards”.
10. Borrowing a Student Loan
Your award packet may list your maximum loan amount. To view this information and access a Loan Confirmation Form, please log-in to MyAACC, select the “Self Services” tab, “Financial Aid Awards” and select the appropriate year to view your information. At the bottom of the awards screen, there will be a link to access the form. Print, complete and sign the form and submit it to our office for processing.
If this is the first time you have borrowed a Federal Stafford Loan you must complete an entrance interview and will be required to complete a Master Promissory Note on-line at www.studentloans.gov after processing. You should receive an e-mail when it is time to complete these items.
See Loan Repayment Chart for estimated monthly payments for various loan amounts.
11. Reapply for next year's financial aid.
To continue receiving financial aid, you must file a FAFSA or Renewal FAFSA for each academic year. Please refer to The Financial Aid Process at AACC: How Does it Work.PDF