1. Submit a FAFSA. Our School Code is 002058.
- The FAFSA for next year is available starting October 1.
- Create a FSA ID - user name and password.
- If the FAFSA requests your parent's financial data and you do not have contact with your parents, please review the Dependency Status regulations.
- The FAFSA bases your financial need on income data. If your annual income has significantly decreased or you have other special financial issues or changes, please read about Special Circumstances.
- File your FAFSA before March 1 to be considered for most state aid programs.
2. Review the available Financial Aid Programs.
3. Apply for Scholarships.
4. Review the General Eligibility Requirements.
- If you are a new student, apply for admission to AACC.
Make sure you include your Social Security number when filling out your application.
5. Register for your courses.
- Financial aid will only pay for classes required for your AACC Associate's degree or eligible AACC certificate program. AACC's FAFSA processing deadlines are August 15th for the Fall semester and January 15th for the Spring semester. If your FAFSA is received on or after the deadline, you MUST make the required down payment at the time of registration.
6. Review your Student Aid Report (SAR).
- After you submit your FAFSA, the federal processor will email your Student Aid Report (SAR) to the email provided on the FAFSA. Carefully review it and make sure that all information is correct. If there are errors, you can make corrections online. They will also send your SAR data to all the schools listed on your FAFSA. If your SAR does not list AACC, go online and add our school code (002058).
7. Log in to your MyAACC Account and check your financial aid status. From the "Menu", select “Self Services", "Credit Students", then "Financial Aid."
- If you are a new MYAACC user, you will need to set up a user name or password using the Password Management Tool. Your application will not be complete until we have received and reviewed all your documents.
- View Requested Documents. Once we receive your data from the Department of Education, our office will review your file. If there are any eligibility issues, we will request additional documentation through your AACC email. Check your email, read financial aid notices carefully, and respond promptly to all requests. Delays can cause lost aid!
- Wait for an Award Notification. Once your application is complete, we will email an Award Notification. You may also receive this notice in the mail.
8. Borrowing a Student Loan
- Your award letter will list your maximum loan amount, if you are eligible.
- To request a loan, complete the Federal Direct Loan Request Form which is available on your MyAACC Account. Under "Menu", select “Self Services", "Credit Students", "Financial Aid", and then select "Financial Aid Awards" for your selected year. At the bottom of the awards screen, there will be a link to access the form. Print, complete and sign the form, and submit it to our office for processing.
- If this is the first time you have borrowed a Federal Stafford Loan you must complete an Entrance Interview and a Master Promissory Note online at www.studentloans.gov after your loan is processed. You should receive an e-mail when it is time to complete these items.
- See Loan Repayment Chart for estimated monthly payments for various loan amounts.
9. Reapply for next year's financial aid.
- To continue receiving financial aid, you must complete a new FAFSA for each academic year.