Current Students
Faculty and Staff

Future Students

Frequently Asked Financial Aid Questions


How do I request a Tax Return Transcript?

  • If you have been selected for verification, our office needs a Tax Return Transcript to process your file.  Order A Transcript on-line from the IRS website, by phone at 1-800-908-9946 or by mail using IRS Form 4506T (Request for Transcript of Tax Return).
  • The IRS does not charge a fee for transcripts. Allow five to ten days for delivery if you order online or by phone.
  • If you filed an amended tax return, we will need a tax return transcript AND a tax account summary from the IRS. 



My aid has already been processed and awarded, but how and when will I receive it?

  • Go to Check Your Status to check your actual or expected disbursement dates and amounts. You can also see how proposed changes in your enrollment will change your disbursements.
  • For grants, most scholarships, Direct Loan funds, and PLUS Loan funds, our office reviews your enrollment and other eligibility criteria and authorizes payment to your student account. Your awards may increase, decrease, or be cancelled, depending on these eligibility reviews. If your aid is cancelled for any reason, you are responsible for paying all tuition, fees, and book charges you have incurred. Credited funds are applied to your unpaid balance, including any charges you may have for books.
  • For grants, scholarships, and processed loans for repeat borrowers, funds are credited to students’ accounts after professors have entered your attendance, approximately one week after the end of the drop/add period, .
  • If your aid exceeds your AACC charges, AACC will send you a refund check. If your charges exceed your aid, you must pay the balance.



How do I pay for my books?

  • Eligible enrolled students whose grant, scholarship, and/or certified loan funds exceed their tuition and fees may be eligible to use Book Advances to charge their books against their pending aid. Eligible students will be notified by e-mail. Book advances can only be used at AACC bookstores, and only for required books and supplies. 



What happens if I drop, withdraw or change grading method to audit?

  • Go to Check Your Status to see exactly how changes in your enrollment will affect your aid.
  • Your award letter lists the amount of financial aid you will receive for various levels of enrollment.  You can not receive aid for Dropped or Audited courses.
  • A course is considered “dropped” if you drop before the 100% tuition refund deadline. There are no charges or SAP penalties for dropped courses.
  • If you withdraw from a course after the 100% tuition refund date, it is a “withdrawal.” You will be charged for “withdrawn” courses, the course will be listed on your transcript with a "W" grade, and excessive withdrawals can lead to a SAP Policy violation and financial aid suspension.   
  • If you withdraw from all your courses or stop attending them before completing more than 60% of the semester, you may have to repay all or a portion of the financial aid that you received.



What if my financial situation has changed?

  • If your family experiences an extreme change in its finances due to circumstances such as illness, disability, divorce, or unemployment, you may be able to have your eligibility reevaluated based on your new family financial circumstances. See Special Financial Aid Circumstances for more information.