Am I eligible to take Adult Basic Skills/GED Test Preparation Classes? You are eligible to take Adult Basic Skills/GED Test Preparation classes if you:
- are at least 16 years old
- are officially withdrawn from high school
- have attended an Adult Basic Skill orientation or taken the GED Practice Test
What does GED stand for?
General Educational Development
How can I earn my high school diploma?
There are three ways that a Maryland resident can earn their high school diploma if they have withdrawn from public school:
1) Graduate from high school
2) Take the Maryland State GED Exam administered by the Maryland Department of Labor and Licensing and delivered at state approved testing center.
3) Successfully complete the External Diploma Program (EDP) administered by CASAS.
What does it cost to take the actual GED exam?
$45 first time scheduling fee
$45 Rescheduling/retesting fee
For more information regarding the GED exam, please visit the Maryland Adult Literacy Resource Center Web site.
Do you teach people to read?
No. Student must be able to read, write and have some math skills to qualify for Adult Basic Skills classes. We refer those who cannot read to the Anne Arundel County Literacy Council.
Are Adult Basic Skills classes appropriate for people that speak English as their Second Language?
No. Non-native English speakers should contact AACC’s English as a Second Language (ESL) Office to learn about our many courses.