Current Students
Faculty and Staff

Future Students

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently asked questions about English and Communications

Q. How many times may I take the English placement test?
 Twice. However, you may appeal your placement by the test to the department chair. You will then be asked to write for 45 minutes on one of three topics. Your placement may be changed based on this writing sample.

Q. If I do well in ENG-001, can I skip ENG-002 and go to credit English?
A. Your ENG-001 teacher may recommend to the department chair that you be exempted from ENG-002. However, you would not yet be eligible for ENG-111 if you have developmental reading requirements. If you have eligibility for RDG-027, you may take ENG-003, Accelerated Basic English.

Q.  Can I be exempted from ENG-111 or ENG-112?
A.  No. However, students who score 3 or higher on the Advanced Placement (AP) Test are not required to take ENG-111 and ENG-112 and are awarded 6 credits for these courses. Students may also gain credit for ENG-111 and ENG-112 through the College-level Examination Program (CLEP) tests. Check with AACC’s Testing Center about these.

Q.  Can I choose to take ENG-121 rather than ENG-111 and ENG-112?
A.  No. ENG-121 is for students with high enough SAT, ACT, or Accuplacer placement test scores. These “cut” scores are used in all 16 Maryland community colleges.

Q.  How is ENG-112 different from ENG-121?
A.  Both courses satisfy the general education composition requirement in Maryland public colleges and universities. In both courses, students write a substantial documented paper in addition to 2-3 other papers on the literature read in the course. However, each ENG-121 class has a theme, on which the reading and writing assignments are based. Also, ENG-121 students read whole works rather than selections from an anthology, and the classes are typically conducted as seminars.

Q.  Can I take ENG-201, ENG-202, and ENG-203 if I haven’t taken ENG-200?
A.  You may ask the department chair for exemption from the ENG-200 prerequisite for ENG-201, ENG-202, or ENG-203. Faculty teaching the course you request will then evaluate your preparation for it and make a recommendation to the department chair.

Q.  How late in the semester can I switch from one section of a course to another?
A.  Students may change courses and sections of courses during the drop/add period, (typically the first week of a term). Under special circumstances, a student may be allowed to change sections after the drop/add period. These changes must be approved by the department chair, usually after consultation with the faculty whose class is being requested.

Q.  How is an online version of an English or communications class different from a face-to-face, in-the-classroom version?
A.  There are no differences in reading, writing, testing, and performance requirements. The learning goals are the same in both versions, and students must meet deadlines in both for turning in work. Student work is assessed by the same standards in both types of classes. Online versions of English and communications courses may require more student participation in class discussions than face-to-face classes, e.g. regular postings to the course bulletin board.

Q  How do I take Fundamentals of Oral Communications online?
A.  COM-111 is essentially a course in oral communications theory, in which students write and deliver speeches. Students in online sections of this course must record the delivery of their speeches to an audience and send these recordings to their instructor.

Q.  How does a computer-assisted English or communications class differ from a “regular” class?
A.  Computer-assisted classes meet throughout the term in a fully-equipped computer lab, where each student has a computer. The computers are used for a variety of learning activities, e.g. research using the Internet, writing and sharing drafts, collaboration on exercises of various kinds, and test taking.