Anne Arundel Community College's Chapter of Lambda Epsilon Chi ("LEX") seeks to recognize and reward those students who have demonstrated superior academic performance, good character, leadership, and professionalism in the college's Paralegal Studies program.
Members can expect the following benefits from LEX in addition to the enrichment of their professional background that membership in LEX will denote:
- Receipt of an official certificate and pin upon induction into LEX;
- Eligibility to apply for paralegal scholarships;
- Individual recognition during an induction ceremony;
- Individual recognition during a pre-graduation reception as well as presentation of a purple cord signifying student membership in LEX to be worn at graduation.
Members of LEX will not be required to form a club or attend any tope of meetings solely by virtue of their membership in LEX.
Qualifications: In order to be eligible for induction into LEX, the following requirements must be met:
1. Students must be in good standing at the college, meaning the student has had no disciplinary or academic integrity sanction imposed upon him/her within the last two years;
2. Students must be enrolled in either the Paralegal Studies Degree or Certificate program at Anne Arundel Community College;
3. Students must have an overall cumulative grade point average of 3.5 as well as a cumulative grade point average of 3.5 in paralegal courses already completed;
4. Students must practice and demonstrate good character, leadership and professionalism;
5. Students must have completed at least 2/3 of their program credit hour requirements. Students enrolled in the degree program shall have completed eight LGS courses. Students enrolled in the certificate program shall have completed seven LGS courses.
Note: These courses must have been fully completed; courses taken during the current semester cannot count towards 2/3 requirement.
Time Limit for Application: Students who wish to apply for membership in LEX must apply either (a) during their studies in the LSI program at the college or (b) no more than one semester (not including the summer) after they have completed their studies and earned their degree or certificate. Students will not be eligible for application to LEX if more than one semester has passed since they were awarded their degree or certificate.
Application Procedures: Students who wish to apply for membership in LEX shall complete the application form and submit at least one (1) written recommendation from a full-time or part-time faculty member who has previously taught or is currently teaching the applicant in at least one (1) LSI course. Applicants may either use the recommendation form or have the recommending instructor mail the written recommendation to Professor Kelly Koermer, CRSC 232.
"LEX" Paralegal Handbook, Application, Recommendation Form PDF
An official transcript of credit courses form Anne Arundel Community College must be submitted along with application.
A typed, double-spaced essay of a minimum of 500 words in which the student explains why they seek a career in the paralegal field and how they exemplify the traits of good character, leadership and professionalism, and how they plan to serve as a role model for others in that field must be submitted with the application. The essay must be of a professional quality to be considered.
If your application is accepted, you will then be asked to pay a one-time membership fee of $30, made payable to AACC. Application deadline is November 15 for fall and April 15 for Spring. The induction ceremony will be held on Commencement day in May.
Selection Procedures: Applicants will be assessed according to the stated qualifications and fulfillment of the purposes of LEX membership described above. A two-thirds approval by Legal Studies full-time and special term faculty is required before students names will be submitted to LEX for induction. Students will be notified of the status of their application following the faculty review.
Reapplication: If for any reason an applicant does not gain admission to LEX during his/her initial application process, the applicant will not be permitted to re-apply to AACC's chapter of LEX.
Member Discipline and Dismissal: LEX members must maintain a GPA of 3.5 in both overall GPA and in their Paralegal Studies courses. If a member's GPA falls below a 3.5, the member will be placed on probationary status from LEX for one semester. If the member does not succeed in bringing the GPA back up to the required 3.5 by the end of the following semester, membership in LEX is subject to termination.
Disciplinary Sanctions: LEX members must remain in good standing at the college at all times. If a member receives any disciplinary sanction through the college, membership in LEX will be terminated immediately with no possibility of reapplication.