The degree program is designed for students who want to become Licensed Massage Therapists (LMT) and do not have the 60 college credits required by the state of Maryland. This Associate of Applied Science degree program may be designated as a Health Manpower Shortage Tuition Reduction program by the state of Maryland. If you are a resident of a Maryland county where there is no public community college massage therapy degree, you may apply for a waiver of the out-of-county tuition differential for courses included in this degree. Contact the Program Coordinator for details.
There is an admission process for the Massage Therapy program. Applications for the spring 2017 program are available online and in Florestano 100. The deadline is September 15, 2016. Applications for the fall 2017 program will be available in December 2016 online and in Florestano 100. Admission requirement information is available online and at information sessions.
COURSES REQUIRED FOR THE MASSAGE THERAPY DEGREE
MAS 100 - Introduction to Massage
MAS 100 must be completed before the program begins. Applicants applying to the fall program must complete the course with a grade of C or better by the end of the summer prior to starting. For spring admission, the course must be completed with a grade of C or better by the end of the winter semester. If this requirement is not met, student will not receive final acceptance into the program.
- General Education Arts/Humanities Elective
- General Education Mathematics
- General Education Computer Technology
- ENG 111-112 - Composition and Introduction to Literature 1,2 OR
- ENG 115-116 - Composition and Introduction to Literature for Non-native Speakers 1,2 OR
- ENG 121 - Composition and Literature ***
- BIO 230 - Structure and Function of the Human Body*,**
- MAS 110 - Fundamentals of Massage Therapy
- MDA 113 - Medical Terminology
- EMT 104 - Emergency Medical Responder
- MAS 111 - Intermediate Massage Therapy
- MAS 120 - Massage Therapy Clinic 1
- MAS 113 - Advanced Massage Therapy
- MAS 121 - Massage Therapy Clinic 2
- MAS 117 - Kinesiology for Massage Therapists
- MAS 118 - Business for Bodyworkers
- PSY 111 - Introduction to Psychology
- SOC 111 - Introduction to Sociology
Total Credit Hours 60 ***
*The BIO 231/232 or BIO 233/234 sequence with a grade of C or better is an option if students prefer to take them in lieu of passing BIO 230 with a grade of C or better.
**Please contact the program coordinator for math eligibility requirements.
***Successful completion of ENG 121 fully satisfies the college English composition general education requirement. Students who take ENG 121 and not ENG 111-112 may need to take an additional elective course to ensure that they complete a minimum of 60 credits, which are required for the award of an associate degree. These credit hours must be chosen with the approval of the department chair or program coordinator.
Students receiving a Degree in Massage Therapy will be eligible to sit for the Massage and Bodywork Licensing Examination (MBLEx). Having passed this exam, they satisfy the state of Maryland’s requirements to apply to become a Licensed Massage Therapist (LMT).