Business Opportunities Related to Marijuana Legalization
Jan. 23, 2015
Anne Arundel Community College is introducing a new course this spring to help students take advantage of business opportunities related to the legalization of marijuana.
“Entrepreneurial Opportunities in Emerging Markets: Marijuana Legalization” (BPA 282) begins Monday, Feb. 2 and meets from noon to 1:25 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays on the Arnold campus.
Prof. Shad Ewart, an assistant professor of business management at AACC, developed the course.
“I like to compare business opportunities associated with marijuana legalization with the success of businesses that grew out of the Gold Rush,” he said. “It wasn’t the miners who panned for nuggets who got rich. It was the people who sold them the picks, the shovels, made the blue jeans, opened the banks.”
Students will look at possible product and service opportunities. The course will include:
· The history of marijuana in the United States, including controversies and ethical issues.
· The economic and tax impact of marijuana legalization.
· Job creation as an outgrowth of marijuana legalization.
· The medical use of marijuana and its acceptance.
· The legalities and regulatory issues of these businesses.
· Demographics of potential customers.
· Challenges bringing these products and services to market, including getting financing.