- Meet regularly with mentee. Contact your mentee as soon as you receive his/her name. Let your mentee know what is expected. Be explicit about the times of meeting and ways of communicating with each other.
- Help mentee reach goals and use frequent feedback, enabling mentee to make decisions.
- Be innovative and creative in providing ideas, suggestions, and strategies to assist with decisions.
- Be a focused, active listener. Be prepared to give honest feedback. Be truthful, but also tactful.
- Recognize and work through conflicts in a respectful way; invite discussions of differences.
- Be aware of cultural and social diversity. Get to know your mentee as an individual.
- Follow through on commitments. Be reliable and consistent.
- Adhere to confidentiality in your relationship with your mentee.
- Evaluate the success of the mentoring relationship. Recognize the work that has been done and the progress that has been made.
View the peer mentoring resource booklet PDF from California State University, Northridge.