Centers and Institutes
Paul Sarbanes Center for Public and Community Service provides leadership and support to applied learning activities for the college and the community it serves. The center is comprised of the following:
- Center for Learning Through Service - The center promotes civic engagement and learning by providing opportunities for students, faculty and staff to serve their community through academically based service-learning assignments and general community service projects. For students, service learning is a strategy to help connect class learning objectives to community service projects and faculty-guided reflection.
- Center for the Study of Local Issues (CSLI) - The center serves as the principal means for students to use applied research techniques in the study of issues that affect Anne Arundel County.
- Environmental Center - The center conducts research and educational activities concerning the quality of natural waterways in the county and how that quality is affected by human activities.
- Institute for the Future @ AACC - The Institute promotes a more humane tomorrow by encouraging dialogues about the future today. Using national and international resources, IF@AACC debates and applies futuristic visions to our community's problems.
- Internships - Students learn by combining academic studies with paid and non-paid, part- or full-time on-the-job work experiences related to the student’s major. Engaged learning experiences assist students to connect classroom theory to real-world employment practices.
- Prior Learning Assessment - Prior learning assessment provides an opportunity through portfolio assessment for students to seek credit for learning accomplished outside traditional classroom environments and that meets college-level standards.
Hotel, Culinary Arts and Tourism Institute - Develops credit and noncredit programs to meet the needs of a dynamic and expanding hospitality field, Maryland's largest private employer.
Homeland Security & Criminal Justice Institute - Prepares learners for challenging careers in the civil and criminal justice systems.
Legal Studies Institute - Provides degree and certificate programs in paralegal studies, nurse/paralegal, and a pre-law transfer degree program in law and jurisprudence.
Teacher Education and Child Care Institute - Addresses the community's need for qualified teachers and child care providers.
Women's Institute - Offers a wide variety of programs and activities designed to inform, enrich and empower women, both personally and professionally.