Anne Arundel Community College has been dedicated to energy conservation and improving the environment for years, and we are now committing to broadening and strengthening our commitment to sustainability as defined by the Association for Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education.
The following are just some of AACC's accomplishments in the area of education and public engagement.
Learn more about what AACC is doing in the area of operations.
- The Environmental Center was created in 1980 to help monitor the health of the Chesapeake Bay, its tributaries and aquatic life. Since that time, AACC has been preparing students for work in the environmental fields through partnerships with local, state and federal agencies and organizations.
- The college's credit engineering program lets students experiment with alternative energy sources, such as solar power.
- AACC's Hotel, Culinary Arts and Tourism Institute has two beehives on the Arnold campus. Students help maintain the hives and the honey and bees' wax is used in culinary classes.
- The college's architecture, interior design and construction management curriculum emphasizes sustainable and high performance design based on the LEED system through the United States Green Building Council.
- AACC’s STEM Center expands science, technology, engineering and mathematics opportunities and capacity.
- The college offers a certificate in Alternative and Sustainable Energy Systems, which prepares students for employment in the field of alternative energy and alternative energy technology.
- Other credit degrees and certificates in several science and technology programs that touch the environment, including astronomy, biology, botany, chemistry, computer science, engineering, environmental science, horticulture, math and physics
- Interested in professional certifications in environmental education? AACC offers continuing education certificate programs in Green Building Technical Professional, Certified Microbial Investigator, Certified Indoor Environmentalist, and Solar Panel Installation.
- Check out the environmental awareness public service announcements created by AACC’s 2009 Kids in College summer campers.
For more information about AACC’s sustainability efforts contact our Office of Public Relations and Marketing or 410-777-7259.