- After September 1, 2014, AAT majors should take the PRAXIS Core exams if they choose a PRAXIS option to meet the basic skills testing requirement.
- Taking (or retaking) the ACT or SAT is another option to consider; although they are given less frequently, the cost for these tests is lower than the PRAXIS. For information about qualifying test scores on those exams, visit the MSDE website.
NOTE: The PRAXIS tests offer time extension accommodations for students whose primary language is not English; the ACT and SAT testing services do not.
There is no composite score for the PRAXIS Core exams. Students must achieve the following passing scores in order to meet the basic skills testing requirement for certification and completion of the AAT:
Important Update: Students who passed any section of the PRAXIS I can complete the Basic Skills requirement by achieving passing scores on any remaining sections of the PRAXIS Core. For example, a student who has passed PRAXIS I Reading and PRAXIS I Writing, only needs to pass the PRAXIS Core Math exam in order to meet the Basic Skills requirement for graduation and certification. When combining PRAXIS I and PRAXIS Core scores to meet the requirement, students cannot use the composite score.
MSDE (and AACC) will also accept the following scores as successful completion of the Basic Skills requirement:
- Praxis I: Composite score of 527 (prior to 9/1/2014)
- SAT: 1100 on math & verbal (after April 1995) and 1000 on math & verbal (prior to April 1995)
- ACT: Composite score of 24
- GRE: 297 (after 9/1/2011) or 1000 (prior to 9/1/2011)
PRAXIS Preparation Courses are an excellent option for those looking to boost their scores for a particular testing area. Students who prefer guided over independent study should register for these classes. Check course schedule for information about
- EDU 002 - Praxis Core Reading Skills
- EDU 003 - Praxis Core Math Skills
- EDU 004 - Praxis Core Writing Skills
FREE PRAXIS Core Practice Exams: The Testing & Educational Reference Center now offers a free online practice exam for the PRAXIS Core Reading, Math & Writing tests. You can find instructions for accessing the practice exam here.
PRAXIS Prep Tests ETS is offering online access to an official practice test. You can purchase a value pack (90 day subscription or 10 different accesses). For more information, visit the ETS site.
PRAXIS Cyber Cafe is sponsored regularly by the Student Education Association (SEA). There will also be a Praxis update included in the Transfer Information Session at the annual Teacher Education Fair.
KHAN ACADEMY Connections: Take advantage of instructional videos to review math concepts on the Praxis exam.
FREE Webinars from ETS for Praxis I and Praxis II.
PRAXIS Prep Reference Books are available at the Truxal Library, local libraries and bookstores. Additional study tips are available at http://www.ets.org/praxis/prepare/tips.
Schedule and register for the test
To access test center information and the testing calendar, visit http://www.ets.org/praxis/register/centers_dates/
There is a fee for the PRAXIS
For details, visit http://www.ets.org/praxis/about/fees/. Please note that there are fee waivers available for qualifying students.
Be sure to send scores to AACC
For the registration codes for AACC and your intended transfer institution, visit http://www.ets.org/praxis/register/codes/
Testing accommodations are available
Visit http://www.ets.org/praxis/register/disabilities for details