A. Anne Arundel Community College’s commitment to its workforce requires performance evaluations, ongoing planning, and professional development for its staff and administrators.
B. This Interim Procedure for Staff and Administrator Performance Evaluation (“Procedures”) establishes the process for reviewing staff performance through ongoing coaching conversations at specified intervals.
A. These Procedures apply to all members of the Professional and Support Staff Organization (“PSSO”) and the Administrative Staff Organization (“ASO”), including part-time and full-time employees, and contract with benefits employees.
B. These Procedures do not apply to faculty, temporary employees, or contract employees who are not eligible for benefits.
A. All capitalized terms in these Procedures have the following meanings:
1. Fiscal Year means July 1 through June 30.
2. Coaching Conversation means a discussion between the Employee and the Supervisor regarding the Employee’s performance and professional growth.
3. Coaching Conversation Worksheet means the document approved by the EDHR that is intended to guide the Coaching Conversations with the Employee and that the Supervisor uses to record the Coaching Conversations.
4. Confirmation Form means the document approved by the EDHR that the Supervisor will complete to confirm that the Coaching Conversation took place and that the next Coaching Conversation is scheduled.
5. EDHR means the Executive Director of Human Resources.
6. Employee is the member of PSSO or ASO who is subject to performance evaluations under these Procedures.
7. Employee Comment Form means the document approved by the EDHR that an Employee may use to respond to the Coaching Conversation.
8. HR means the Office of Human Resources.
9. Supervisor means the manager to whom the Employee directly reports.
IV. Coaching Conversations
A. The purpose of ongoing Coaching Conversations:
1. To support the Employee's success and self-improvement.
2. To encourage a growth mindset through reflection, planning, problem solving, and honest and constructive feedback; and
3. To guide and facilitate the Employee’s professional development, aligned with observed strengths, opportunities for growth and continuous improvement, professional advancement at the College and beyond, and the College’s values, mission and strategic objectives.
B. It is the responsibility of each Supervisor to review the performance of each Employee that the Supervisor supervises through Coaching Conversations two (2) times per Fiscal Year and to keep the appropriate next line supervisor and HR apprised of the status of the reviews.
1. The Coaching Conversations must take place semi-annually—once between July 1 and December 31 and once between January 1 and June 30.
2. The Supervisor has flexibility to choose the date of the Coaching Conversation with the Employee, so long as the Coaching Conversation is completed once during each of the semi-annual time periods.
3. Each Coaching Conversation will cover the Employee’s performance since the date of the last Coaching Conversation with the Employee.
C. The Supervisor may consult with any other employee the Supervisor deems appropriate to obtain feedback on the Employee’s performance prior to conducting the Coaching Conversations.
D. Attendance at the Coaching Conversation
1. The Employee may invite another College employee(s) to attend any of the Coaching Conversations, if agreed upon by the Supervisor in advance of the scheduled Coaching Conversation.
2. The Supervisor may invite the Employee’s next line supervisor or an employee from HR to attend a Coaching Conversation, in the Supervisor’s discretion, and will provide advance notice to the Employee if the next line supervisor and/or an HR employee will attend.
3. If, with approval from the Supervisor, the Employee has performed duties for another department(s) or division(s), including but not limited to duties performed through Talent Share, since the last Coaching Conversation, the Supervisor will consult with the manager for the other department(s) or division(s) in which the Employee has performed duties so that the Supervisor may provide feedback regarding the other duties during the Coaching Conversations. Alternatively, the Supervisor may invite the manager from the other department(s) or division(s) to participate in the Coaching Conversation, with advanced notice to the Employee.
E. Coaching Conversation Worksheet
1. The Supervisor will provide a written summary of each Coaching Conversation on the Coaching Conversation Worksheet.
2. For Employees who have supervisory or managerial responsibilities, the Supervisor may also include feedback on leadership and manager effectiveness on the Coaching Conversation Worksheet.
3. During the Coaching Conversation, the Supervisor will ask for the Employee’s feedback and takeaways, which the Supervisor will record on the Coaching Conversation Worksheet.
4. A Supervisor may include goals for the Employee on the Coaching Conversation Worksheet.
5. At the end of each Coaching Conversation, the Supervisor will schedule the next Coaching Conversation.
a. The College recommends that the next Coaching Conversation be scheduled within the next six (6) months.
b. Due to operational needs, however, the Supervisor has the flexibility to schedule the next Coaching Conversation at any time during the next semi-annual time period, so long as it is completed and submitted by the end of the semi-annual time period.
6. Within two (2) business days of the Coaching Conversation, the Supervisor will provide a copy of the Coaching Conversation Worksheet to the Employee and will complete and submit the Confirmation Form, including a copy of the Coaching Conversation Worksheet, to HR.
F. Employee Comment Form
1. Within ten (10) business days of the Supervisor’s submission of the Coaching Conversation Worksheet to the Employee, the Employee may provide a written response to the Coaching Conversation Worksheet by submitting an Employee Comment Form via email or through interoffice mail to the Supervisor and HR.
2. Within ten (10) business days of receipt of a written response from the Employee, the Supervisor may, in the Supervisor’s sole discretion, make changes to the Coaching Conversation Worksheet in response to the Employee’s comments and provide a copy of the revised Coaching Conversation Worksheet to the Employee.
3. After this ten-day period has passed, the Coaching Conversation Worksheet with revisions, if any, will be final.
4. There is no right to appeal or grieve the content of the Coaching Conversation Worksheet.
A. The completed Coaching Conversation Worksheet, Confirmation Form, and Employee Comment Form, if any, will become part of the Employee’s personnel file and will be maintained confidentially.
B. The Employee will be provided access to completed Coaching Conversation and Employee Comment Forms upon request to the Supervisor or the Office of Human Resources.
C. Any changes to the Forms described in these Procedures must be approved by the EDHR.
VI. New Employees
A. A Supervisor must provide an initial Coaching Conversation to a newly hired Employee within three (3) months of the Employee’s hire date.
B. A Supervisor must provide a second Coaching Conversation to a newly hired Employee by the end of the Employee’s six (6) month probationary period.
C. Thereafter, the Supervisor will provide Coaching Conversations during the semi-annual time periods set forth above.
Procedure Title: Interim Procedures for Staff and Administrator Performance Evaluations
Policy Category: Human Resources
Policy Owner: Vice President of Learning Resources Management
Policy Administrator: Executive Director of Human Resources
Contact Information: Suzanne Boyer; 410-777-2045; firstname.lastname@example.org
Approval Date: July 29, 2022
Effective Date: August 2, 2022
Applies to: All members of the College’s Professional and Support Staff Organization and Administrative Staff Organization
Related Policies: N/A
Related Procedures: N/A
Relevant Laws: N/A