Back to Top
These questions and answers will be updated and expanded as needed.

Updated: April 3

When will the college reopen?

Spring classes will resume Monday, April 6, 2020. All classes will be delivered remotely with the aid of technology, through the close of the spring term.

Students may access student services such as the AACC Bookstore, academic advising, tutoring, etc., remotely beginning April 2, 2020.

When does spring term end?

All instruction and exams will be completed by May 22.

All this uncertainty is stressful. How can I take care of myself?

It’s understandable that people are feeling a little stressed right now. This is an unprecedented public health issue and the information surrounding it changes every day. Remember that people process stress differently and be kind to one another.

You can also:

  • Stay informed, but avoid excessive media coverage of COVID-19.
  • Take care of your body: meditate, exercise, eat healthy and get plenty of sleep.
  • Make time for activities you enjoy.
  • Share your concerns with a trusted family member or friend.
  • Remind yourself that this situation is not forever. We’ll get through this.

Learn about coping with stress:

If you feel overwhelmed

Talk to a health care provider or counselor.

If you, or someone you know, is experiencing intense sadness, depression, anxiety or feeling like you want to harm yourself or others call:

  • 911
  • Crisis Warmline
    24/7 help and support
  • Disaster Distress Helpline (Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, SAMHSA)
    (TTY 800-846-8517)
    or text TalkWithUs to 66746

What if I get sick?

If you are sick, please stay home.

According to the CDC, seek medical advice if you develop symptoms (fever, cough, shortness of breath) and

  • Have been in close contact with a person known to have COVID-19
  • Live in or have recently been in an area with ongoing spread of COVID-19

If you are diagnosed with COVID-19, please contact the AACC Health & Wellness Center at They will determine what notifications, if any, need to be made to the college community.

The college will protect and keep private any personal information regarding your identity. Under federal law, your name, location or any other identifying information cannot be disclosed.

According to the Anne Arundel County Department of Health, if you have been exposed to someone with COVID-19, you should:

    • Monitor for fever, cough, shortness of breath or any other respiratory symptom for 14 days. 
    • If you develop symptoms, you should self-isolate and contact your primary care provider for evaluation.  
    • If you become ill enough to seek medical care, you should put a mask on when you enter the office and tell the front desk you are showing symptoms of COVID-19 and may have been exposed. 
    • If you have to call 911 you need to tell the 911 operator that you were exposed. 

For more information, visit Anne Arundel County Department of Health’s website


What if I don’t have access to technology?

  • The AACC Bookstore has several devices in stock priced with an academic discount built in. The bookstore is offering free shipping for all online orders to assist students at a distance. For information contact
  • Students may be eligible for technology/device assistance through the college’s Helplink program. Please email for more information. 
  • Truxal Library has a limited number of loaner devices available for direct shipment to students. Please email requests to
  • Comcast is offering free WiFi and internet access for a limited period of time. Visit Comcast's COVID-19 response page for information.

Who can I contact with technical questions?

  • Online technology resources are available on the website.
  • Beginning April 2, the Technical Call Center (TCC) is available to address technical problems and issues. Please contact the TCC at

    Hours of operation are:

    7:30 a.m.-10 p.m.

    7:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.

    8 a.m.-4 p.m.

  • If you require accommodations, please contact Disability Support Services at

I have never taken an online class before. What should I do?

  1. Start building a routine.
  2. Minimize distraction and stay flexible as faculty and students adapt.
  3. Remember that support services (such as tutoring, advising, counseling, etc.) are available online beginning April 2.
  4. Access Canvas, the learning management system that will serve as your “virtual classroom.” To access Canvas, log into MyAACC and enter your username and password, then select the Access My Courses button on the right.
  5. If you are unfamiliar with, or need a refresher to Canvas, there is an orientation available. Specifically, module two covers navigating and using the tools in Canvas. To access the orientation, select the Help link on the Global navigation menu in Canvas (on left) and choose VC Student Orientation.
  6. Get your textbooks/materials. You can look up the textbooks for your course and order them online through the AACC Bookstore. Shipping is free.
  7. Begin your course(s) on April 6 by selecting the “course card” located on your Dashboard in Canvas. Your course card will show up three days prior to your course start date. At that time, some course materials may be available.

What resources are available to help me learn remotely with the aid of technology?

We remain committed to maintaining high quality and rigorous instruction with the aid of technology, including Canvas — the college’s primary course management platform.

To learn more about how to access, participate and succeed in remote instruction, view this resource available in Canvas

Student Services and Academic Support

What student and academic services are available?

The following services are available to students beginning Thursday, April 2, through remote access:

  • Academic and Transfer Advising
  • Cashier
  • Disability Support Services
  • Employment Services
  • Financial Aid
  • Health & Wellness Center
  • Information Desk
  • Library
  • Math Lab
  • Military and Veteran Student Services
  • Personal and Career Counseling
  • Records and Registration
  • Student Achievement and Success (SASP)
  • Technology Learning Center
  • Testing
  • Tutoring
  • Virtual Writing Center
  • Writing Center

How can I access student services?

We encourage priority use of the chat feature on, MyAACC college email, phone and MyAACC online services.

A list of contacts may found on this webpage or downloaded for print

How do I meet with an advisor?

  • Beginning April 2, 2020, advisors are available to meet with students remotely through MyAACC email and Virtual Advising. 
  • No appointment needed! Simply email your advisor directly using your MyAACC student email account and ask your advising questions. Refer to this website to get your advisor’s contact information. Your advisor will respond quickly and will open a virtual advising session as needed.
  • If you do not have a MyAACC email account, use your personal email. Your advisor will be able to address questions, using your personal email, that do not involve protected information.

Can I access a tutor remotely?

Smarthinking is an online tutoring service that is available to AACC students. Smarthinking provides tutoring in a variety of subjects, some of which are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Learn about Smarthinking Online Tutoring.

How do I get books or supplies if the college is closed?  

The bookstore will remain closed to the public for the foreseeable future. Instead, books and other supplies must be purchased online and will be mailed directly to students free of charge.

Incomplete and Pass-Fail

What is an Incomplete?

Students who are unable to complete all the work associated with their course may wish to work with their instructor to consider an “incomplete” for a class. The incomplete allows a student to finish the required coursework beyond the end of the term. Students should speak with their instructor sooner rather than later regarding this option.

What is the Pass-Fail option?

Some students may wish to consider a pass-fail option instead of a traditional letter grade for each class they complete. When the faculty submit a traditional grade at the end of the term, a student can request the traditional grade be changed to a pass-fail grade. The Committee on Academic Standards will authorize the change of a grade to pass-fail based on the traditional grade submitted by the instructor.

Should I consider having my grade changed to Pass-Fail?

The pass-fail option will not always be the best choice for a student, especially if they are in or intend to take health professions courses, or will transfer to programs with competitive admission criteria. A grade of pass may impact a student’s calculated GPA, including the recognition of Latin honors, at time of graduation. 

Pass is considered to be a C grade or higher, successful completion of the course for federal financial aid purposes. It is also considered in the maximum number of credits for which a student may receive federal aid. There are considerations for those students who receive scholarships, or use employer-provided tuition assistance, VA benefits or receive tuition assistance through GoArmyEd. The college is prepared to make sure our students make an informed decision when requesting a grade change to pass-fail.

What do I need to do to use the Incomplete or Pass-Fail option?

You must complete a form to change from a letter grade to an incomplete or pass-fail. Forms will be available by May 1, and you will be notified through your MyAACC account when they are ready.

Emergency Support

Can I access AACC food pantries?

Beginning April 2, 2020, students will be able to access food pantry services remotely and receive food via direct shipment. Students should contact for more information.

Can I receive Helplink assistance?

Yes. Students will be able to access Helplink services remotely and receive Helplink awards via direct shipment. Students should contact for more information. The Office of Student Engagement is unable to award support for any suspended college activities.

Events and Activities

How will I access campus events and activities?

The Office of Student Engagement has suspended all nonessential, in-person AACC-sponsored student club/organization activities and events scheduled through May 22, 2020.

The Office of Student Engagement and AACC-sponsored student clubs and organizations will host events and activities online, where appropriate.  Learn about opportunities for online student engagement experiences and activities.

Will passes to the Aquarium, Science Center or movie theaters still be available?

No. The Office of Student Engagement has suspended the distribution of passes to the Maryland Science Center and National Aquarium. We have also suspended discounted tickets to Bow Tie Cinema, Cinemark Egyptian 24 and Regal Cinema. This suspension is in effect through May 22, 2020. 

Commencement and Beyond

Will the college still hold its spring commencement ceremony?

Commencement is a very special occasion for our faculty, staff, students and their families. The college is giving thoughtful consideration to the needs of our students, particularly as it relates to graduation.

This year’s commencement will not take place as scheduled but is being postponed until further notice. However, students meeting the requirements to graduate this spring will still be able to receive their degrees and certificates. 

When can I register for the fall term?

Registration for fall classes begins June 1.

Noncredit (Continuing Education) Students

What’s the update on my noncredit classes?

Winter and spring classes affected by the extended spring break (March 13-April 5) have been shortened, moved online or canceled. Spring classes starting before May have been moved online or canceled. Tuition and fees for canceled classes will be refunded to students, which may take up to three weeks to complete (around the week of April 22).

How do I access my class schedule?

  1. Click the link for MyAACC in the header of any page on the AACC website.
  2. Log in using your student account information.
  3. Click the Menu button in the top, left corner.
  4. Select Self Services.
  5. In the Self Service Menu, click Continuing Education Students.
  6. Click Academic Profile.
  7. Click My Class Schedule.
  8. In the My Class Schedule window that appears, select the term you want to see your schedule from the drop down list and click Submit.
  9. Your updated class schedule will appear in that window.

I’m having trouble accessing MyAACC. What do I do?

If you have issues accessing MyAACC, general information can be found on our MyAACC resource page or you can contact the Technical Call Center through

I have questions about my class. How can I contact someone?

If you have additional questions about your classes, email your name, student ID number and the section IDs for the classes in question to the Instructional Support Center at We will respond as soon as we are able.

I’m a senior who signed up for spring courses. What’s going on with my classes?

With senior center operations and the college’s senior courses at the centers suspended indefinitely, we are canceling the spring term (April, May and June). The college will be issuing refunds in the next few weeks as we resume operations. In the meantime, our respective departments are working to develop online instruction and activities.

International Students

Will I be able to access international student support services?

International Student Services (ISS) advisors will process immigration requests, updates and other student services remotely. Time sensitive immigration requests will be prioritized and processed within five business days. Nonurgent tasks may take longer due to the increased number of requests. Please contact for additional information.

As an F-1 student, I'm only allowed to take one online course per term. How does AACC's decision to switch all classes online affect my visa status?

On March 23, 2020, the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) has issued a new guidance that allows F1 students to take online classes as a direct result of impact from coronavirus or COVID-19. Students will be able to temporarily take online classes full time inside or outside the U.S. until Anne Arundel Community College’s leadership determines it is safe to resume classes at college locations.

If I return home to my country to complete my classes online for the remainder of spring 2020 term, will my status remain active in SEVIS?

Yes, you can complete all your spring classes online. As long as you remain enrolled at AACC as a full-time student, we will keep your student status active in SEVIS.

I went home to my country to be with my family during the coronavirus pandemic, will I be able to return to the U.S. to continue with my studies?

Students who continue to make normal progress in their course of study remain eligible for admission into the United States. However, because of the changing array of travel restrictions, you should refer to your local U.S. embassy’s website through the U.S. Department of State for any updates about visa issuance. Also, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and the Center(s) for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC) websites provide information about current travel restrictions to the United States.

In addition, SEVP advises students currently outside of the United States and looking to enter the country to check on any travel restrictions their country might have regarding international travel, including restrictions applicable to countries they may travel through.

Can DSO extend the program end date of my I-20 so that I can return to the U.S. to be able and attend the graduation ceremony?

DSOs cannot extend students’ programs or I-20s to accommodate graduation ceremonies. Students wishing to return to the United States to attend graduation have the following options:

  • Students can return to the United States prior to the program end date on the Form I-20 and attend their graduation during the 60-day grace period.
  • Students who intend to continue their study in the United States can return with a pending change of educational level or transfer Form I-20.
  • Students can return to the United States on another visa classification (i.e., B-2 visitor visa).

Can I participate in curricular practical training (CPT) while in my home country?

Students may engage in CPT during their time abroad, provided they are:

  • Enrolled in a program of study in which CPT is integral to the program of study
  • Their DSO authorized CPT in advance of the CPT start date, and
  • Either the employer has an office outside the United States or the employer can assess student engagement and attainment of learning objectives electronically.

I'm currently in my home country and will complete my program online. Am I eligible to apply for Post-Optional Practical Training (OPT) while abroad?

Currently, government guidance says you must be inside the U.S. to apply for OPT. At this time, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is evaluating these issues and may issue additional guidance. In the meantime, since U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) adjudicates OPT employment authorization requests, SEVP recommends reaching out to USCIS for further guidance.

Will I lose my F-1 status if I can't return within five months due to travel restrictions?

F-1 students can't be outside the U.S. for more than five months. Although, if you stay enrolled full time in online coursework for the remainder of spring 2020, you will not be impacted by this rule.  The five-month leave of absence rule applies if you are no longer an AACC student due to the termination of your SEVIS record.

If you are outside the U.S. five months or more after your SEVIS record was terminated, you lose your ability to reenter as an F-1 student unless you have applied and approved for a new F1 visa status. In this case, you must have reapplied to AACC and received a new I-20 form with a new SEVIS number.  AACC DSO will keep your SEVIS record active if you are enrolled as a full-time student online and you intend to return after the COVID-19 crisis.

I prefer to return to my home country to complete my spring term online, but my visa has expired. What should I do?

To renew a visa, you must have a valid I-20 form signed by AACC DSO, and apply at the U.S. embassy or consulate in your country before you reenter the U.S. Check the visa requirements and travel information updates from the U.S. Department of State.

Will I be able to return to the college for the fall 2020 term?

There is a lot of uncertainty around travel for the time being. Please continue to monitor college’s communications, guidance from DSO, and online resources for implications on travel from ICE's guidance on COVID-19.

Disability Support Services

Will services continue for DSS students?

Yes. Disability Support Services will continue to provide services remotely to DSS students. Students who already have accommodations will continue to have accommodations for the remainder of the term.

Students may schedule a DSS appointment online or email

Will my personal assistant be allowed to accompany me to my appointments?

Yes, your personal assistant will be allowed to accompany you for virtual appointments. When you schedule your appointment, please let the scheduler know that a personal assistant will join you.

What if I need new or different accommodations with the new online course format?

Students who need to change or adjust accommodations should contact the DSS office when we reopen on April 2. Email to discuss your accommodation needs and/or to schedule an appointment.

Are there opportunities for virtual DSS appointments?

Yes. DSS is able to provide virtual appointments or remotely by phone. Schedule a DSS appointment online.

I use assistive technology on campus. Will this technology still be available to me?

Assistive computer technology may be available to students. Please email for information.

Paying for Education

What if my off-campus job is at risk given the new state and federal directives?

Please be sure you have contacted AACC’s Financial Aid office at as many students do not take advantage of their full aid eligibility.

Emergency support services, including AACC food pantries and the Helplink program, are available to assist students experiencing financial hardship due to COVID-19. Helplink and food pantry services will resume operation, remotely, on Thursday, April 2.

Students may be eligible to apply for unemployment

VA Benefits

Will the additional two weeks of spring break affect my BAH/MHA?

The additional weeks of spring break will have no impact on VA benefits payments that are issued to students.

What happens to my VA benefits now that classes are remote?

If classes have already begun attendance, then there will be no impact to VA benefits.

For classes that have not begun, we anticipate that the course(s) will be certified and paid as an online course, which may impact BAH/MHA.

This is a rapidly evolving situation and may change as we receive further guidance from the VA.

What happens to my VA benefits if I withdraw?

It is in your best interest to remain enrolled and continue participating in all coursework that has already begun. Withdrawing will not exempt you from any financial penalties or regulations set forth by the VA.

Am I required to participate in my class if it’s now online?

You are required to continue to participate in your enrolled coursework in the format in which it's being offered.

For online students, participation means regular contact and engagement with the course material and other participants, as outlined by your instructor.

For students concerned about participation in an online course, please consult with your professor to determine what constitutes participation for the course.

What is the impact to summer coursework?

This is an ongoing situation and at this time, no decisions have been made regarding summer enrollment and course offerings. We will be sure to keep all students updated as we know more.

Federal Work-Study and Institutional Student Aid Program

If campus is closed or operating remotely, will I still get paid the full amount for my FWS or ISAP job?

If you’re unable to work your scheduled hours because of coronavirus-related disruptions (such as school closures or student quarantines), you will be paid for any scheduled hours or allowed to work by another means, such as completing work online or remotely, depending on the job. Contact your supervisor for job-specific information. 

Recovery and COVID-19

I’m in recovery. How do I continue to get support?

These unprecedented times are leaving gaps and changes in our everyday routines, but there are innovative and accessible alternatives to keep us safe through the outbreak. It’s natural to experience stress, anxiety, grief and worry right now, but it’s important to get help if you need it.

Stay connected to family, friends and your support system by phone, text, video or email, and explore the links below to learn about resources to care for yourself and those around you.

Are remote/online resources available to students in recovery?

Yes. Some of those resources are below.

Virtual/Phone Support Meetings

  • Alcoholics Anonymous
    24-hour hotline 410-268-5441
  • Al-Anon
    When you call, the answering service will take your first name and number and a member will return your call. They do not accept voicemails to preserve your anonymity.
  • Maryland Department of Health
  • Narcotics Anonymous
  • SAFE Campuses
    SAFE Campuses Collegiate Recovery Leadership Academy students will be leading virtual Collegiate All-Recovery meetings three times a week until further notice.
    • Mondays, starting 7 p.m.
    • Wednesdays, starting 1:30 p.m.
    • Fridays, starting 3 p.m.

Use this link to access each of the upcoming Collegiate All-Recovery meetings:

How do I find treatment?

You can reach out to:

Anne Arundel County Department of Health
Substance Abuse Treatment Referral and Resource Line
Monday - Friday, 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.

  • Road to Recovery MAT Program (They can provide “guest dosing” for those unable to access their regular services)
  • Provides information on substance abuse treatment resources.

Crisis Warmline
24/7 Help and Support

Recovery Anne Arundel
Comprehensive treatment resource page

Safe Stations
Visit any police or fire station across the county, day or night, to dispose of any paraphernalia and find immediate assistance gaining access to care.

AACC Health and Wellness Center

Anne Arundel County Department of Health

Maryland Department of Health

Remote Contacts

Find the contact you need below or download and print this list.

Enrollment Services

AACC Bookstore 



Financial Aid 

General Information 

Records and Registration 

Testing Center 

Academic and Instructional Support

Advising, Academic and Transfer Advising 

Continuing Education 

English Language Learning 

Supplemental Instruction 

Technology Learning Center 

Tutoring Office 

Virtual Campus (distance learning) programs 

Writing Centers 

Student Support


Career and Employment Services

Child Development Center 

Community Standards 

Counseling (personal) 

Disability Support Services 

Emergency Student Support Services 

Health & Wellness Center 

Library Services 

  • Loaner devices (laptops, scientific calculators)

Military/Veteran Student Support 

New Student Transitions 

Public Safety and Police 

Student Achievement and Success Program 

Student Engagement 

Technical Call Center