Back to Top
Collage of images representing the many disciplines at AACC.

As we continue to balance fulfilling our mission with the health and safety of our college community, most of our employees will continue to work remotely. Only essential employees and those conducting essential activities are currently allowed on campus. 

It's possible to come to campus, if it's deemed essential. To arrange any visits to campus, contact your supervisor. You will also need to comply with our health and safety requirements.

Decisions about fully opening the campus to our community will be aligned with national, state and local directives. However, some employees may be requested to periodically come to campus and will be notified by their supervisor. Staff and faculty must be prepared to come to campus within 24 hours, upon request.

Faculty and Staff FAQ

Is the college open? When do I report for work?

Most employees are working remotely at this time. Only essential employees are allowed on campus. There is no physical access to buildings, unless you are designated by your supervisor as necessary to maintain critical operations. 

When you are telecommuting, you must be accessible, responsive, reliable and available by phone, email and/or chat, where appropriate. Regular employees will not be charged leave if their work does not require a full day, but should review the Talent Share job board to find appropriate opportunities to support other departments in need.

The college is physically closed to students and all classes will be delivered remotely with the aid of technology. Student services will be provided to students electronically.

Be sure to follow the college’s red flags policies to ensure the protection of confidential and sensitive information.

If you need to come to campus to maintain critical operations, please advise your supervisor as to the date, time and building to which you require access.  They will obtain the necessary approvals. You must have completed the required Employee Attestation Regarding COVID form prior to returning to campus.

If deemed essential and required to periodically come to campus, can I get a letter documenting those facts?

Yes, your supervisor will need to provide your name to Vice President Melissa Beardmore via email and a letter will be sent to you within 24 hours. The college has been advised by county and state police that they will not make traffic stops simply to ask drivers where they are going to determine if their travel is essential or not. The letter, signed by Melissa Beardmore, can be emailed or mailed to a home address. 

When will we be allowed to return to campus?

Under our Riverhawk Recovery team, we have created a cross-divisional subteam to work on a detailed Return to Work plan. As you know, we have decided to continue to offer courses and services online. However, Gov. Hogan has outlined a “Roadmap to Recovery” for Maryland that includes three distinct phases. Our subteam has mapped out stages that align with the state's plan and articulate how faculty and staff may return to offices, depending on timing and decisions by the state. This planning continues to evolve and will be updated regularly.

I need to come to campus. What should I do?

If you need to come to campus to maintain critical operations, please advise your supervisor as to the date, time and building to which you require access.  They will obtain the necessary approvals. The required Employee Attestation Regarding COVID form must be submitted prior to returning to campus.

What do I do about my annual leave that I couldn’t use due to COVID-19?

In consideration of the staff who may have been unable to use their FY20 annual leave due to COVID-19, staff will have an additional year to use their annual leave before it moves over to carry over leave. On July 1, 2020, annual leave not used by June 30, 2020, will remain in the annual leave accrual and not placed in the carry over leave accrual. On July 1, 2021, any remaining annual leave will be moved into carryover leave. If the carryover leave has reached the maximum allowable carry over, the leave will be forfeited.

If you have any questions, send them to 

Health and Wellness

What resources are available to me via the Employee Assistance Program?

Visit (login is AAC) for online resources related to COVID-19. These include resources for employees and supervisors, managing anxiety while working remotely, and working from home with kids. In addition, BHS is available 24/7 if you need to speak with someone. The number is 866-594-7292. BHS is available to all faculty, staff, temporary employees and adjunct employees. 

I am experiencing symptoms consistent with the COVID-19 virus. What should I do?

If you are sick, please stay home.

According to the CDC, seek medical advice if you develop symptoms (fever, cough, shortness of breath) and

  • Have been in close contact with a person known to have COVID-19
  • Live in or have recently been in an area with ongoing spread of COVID-19

If you are diagnosed with COVID-19, please immediately complete the COVID reporting form

The college will protect and keep private any personal information regarding your identity. Under federal law, your name, location, or any other identifying information cannot be disclosed.

According to the Anne Arundel County Department of Health, if you have been exposed to someone with COVID-19, you should:

    • Monitor yourself for fever, cough, shortness of breath or any other respiratory symptom for 14 days.
    • If you develop symptoms, you should self-isolate and contact your primary care provider for evaluation.
    • If you become ill enough to seek medical care, you should put a mask on when you enter the office, tell the front desk you are showing symptoms of COVID-19 and may have been exposed. 
    • If you have to call 911 you need to tell the 911 operator that you were exposed. 

Please notify the college if you are going to be tested and complete the COVID reporting form.

For information visit Anne Arundel County Department of Health’s website

What if I’m sick or quarantined, but have used all my leave?

Leave usage will be handled in the following manner: 

  • Safe and sick leave may be used to care for yourself or a family member. Annual leave may be used if safe and sick leave is exhausted. 
  • The Families First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA) expired on Dec. 31, 2020. This act provided employees with paid sick leave or extended family and medical leave for specific reasons related to COVID-19.   
  • The college will be voluntarily continuing this leave for employees who are unable to work because they have tested positive, have COVID like symptoms or who are quarantining due to COVID exposure through March 31, 2021. This allows employees to use up to 80 hours of FFCRA leave to care for themselves without using earned sick leave.  
  • All employees must stay home if they are not feeling well. The requirement for a doctor’s note after three days of absence will be relaxed.

Questions? Contact Human Resources at

What if a person living in the same household is on self-quarantine? Do I have to stay home as well?

Yes, you must stay home. You may use safe/sick leave or telecommute with your supervisor’s approval. Refer to the safe and sick leave policy to determine if the member of the household qualifies you for sick leave usage. 

You may also access Emergency Paid Sick Leave for up to two weeks.

Questions? Contact Human Resources at

Is anything being done to clean and/or disinfect our facilities?

Facilities has increased cleaning and disinfecting of high-touch surfaces and restrooms. The custodial staff is responsible for disinfecting all hard surfaces in common areas including door levers, work surfaces, hard seating, hallways, classrooms, restrooms, etc. Most of this cleaning happens every evening, Monday–Friday.

Keyboards, mice, PCs, peripherals, etc. in common areas are disinfected several times per week.

Hand washing instruction signs have been placed in all bathrooms on the front doors and inside the restrooms on the mirrors. 

Employees should remember they are responsible for everything within their personal spaces.  Everyone is encouraged to wipe down their hard surfaces with a disinfectant. Building coordinators will be provided with spray bottles of disinfectant and microfiber rags. If you need to know the name of your building coordinator, please contact Arlene Crow, emergency manager, at

What do I do if I witness harassment based on suspected COVID-19 exposure?

While limiting the spread of the virus is important, we also must avoid the stigma that sometimes accompanies such illnesses. Don’t make assumptions about individuals you believe may have come into contact with COVID-19. In some cases, public reactions to the virus have been sensationalized. Individuals at some higher education institutions have reported encountering related discrimination and harassment. This will not be tolerated at AACC. 

Learn about stigma and resilience related to COVID-19.

Report a bias incident.

Email the Federal Compliance Officer at

I’m regular staff/faculty member and can’t work because my children are home from school. Can I still get paid?

Yes, you can still get paid using your annual leave while there is no school for your child. You are also eligible for the Emergency Paid Sick Leave and taking the extended FMLA leave as long as you have worked for the college for 30 or more days. This additional leave is subject to a maximum of $200 per day, up to $12,000 for up to 12 weeks. You are also encouraged to work closely with your supervisor to determine alternative work schedule options. You may contact Human Resources if you need additional assistance.

Emergency Paid Sick Leave

What is the Families First Coronavirus Response Act?

This act is a federal law passed on March 17, 2020, in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. It requires certain employers to provide employees with paid sick leave or expanded family and medical leave for specified reasons related to COVID-19. The law is effective April 2-Dec. 31, 2020. Up to two weeks at 100% pay for employees who must quarantine or who are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19, or 66.67% pay for employees who must quarantine or care for a family member due to COVID-19 are eligible.   

What happens now that the act is expired?

The college will be voluntarily continuing this leave for employees who are unable to work because they have tested positive, have COVID like symptoms or who are quarantining due to COVID exposure, through March 31, 2021. This allows employees to use up to 80 hours of FFCRA leave to care for themselves without using earned sick leave.

If you have any questions, email Human Resources at

How do I use this leave?

In order to access this leave, submit a request through TimeClock Plus with your supervisor and Human Resources approval.

Working Remotely

I’m regular staff/faculty member and can’t work because my children are home from school. Can I still get paid?

With the expiration of the Families First Coronavirus Act, you cannot get paid unless you take annual leave. You are also encouraged to work closely with your supervisor to determine alternative work schedule options. You may contact Human Resources if you need additional assistance. 

What are staff expected to do when they report remotely?

Staff should plan to telecommute and faculty to teach online and not come to the college unless a physical presence is required to maintain critical operations. When you are telecommuting, you must be accessible, responsive, reliable and available by phone, email and/or chat, where appropriate. While you may do your work from a home location, you may not do any work outside of the United States.

If you need to come to campus to maintain critical operations, you must notify your supervisor of the requested date, time and building to which you are requesting access. They will obtain the necessary approvals. You must complete the required Employee Attestation Regarding COVID form prior to returning to campus.

Employees who have questions should contact their supervisor.

What if I need office supplies to telecommute?

All office supply funds are frozen and being centrally managed. Departments should have transitioned to a digital environment to reduce the need for these supplies as much as possible. Printers, toner and paper are not considered critical supplies. Only critical office supplies should be requested. Request for office supplies procedures are posted on the Business & Financial Resources Office (BFRO) intranet.

When should I modify my voicemail and email auto reply to a standard message?

Suggested Messages

Voice Mail 
This is NAME with DEPARTMENT at Anne Arundel Community College. To reduce the spread of the COVID-19 virus, all college employees are currently telecommuting. Please leave me a voice mail message and I will return your message as soon as possible.

Update auto reply when not actively monitoring emails. Suggested out of office email:

In response to COVID-19, I will be working remotely as all AACC classes and students services will be delivered entirely online.

I will return your email as soon as possible.

Thank you, stay safe and be well.

How will I get my mail?

The college will not be delivering mail to offices. Only offices that are performing essential functions should pick up mail at this time (e.g. student registrations, important student correspondence, compliance-related mail). If your office’s mail tends to consist of junk mail, magazines, journals and newspapers, please do not ask employees to come to campus to pick up mail and distribute it. We will store your mail on campus indefinitely. The Document Services department is recycling any junk mail and will hold all other mail (periodicals, journals, newspapers, etc).  

Supervisors have been instructed to determine the schedule for picking up and dropping off your mail in the Central Services Building (Copy Center entrance). Mailroom staff will be available to receive and sort mail and to facilitate drop off and pick up of mail by designated college staff Monday, Wednesday and Friday, between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. in the Central Services Building. Special arrangements will be coordinated with the Business Office and Information Services for essential large batch outgoing mailings (student billings and statements, vendor checks, and payroll checks, etc.).   

General Process

Mailroom staff will receive mail delivery from the post office daily and have mail sorted by 10 a.m. on Monday, Wednesday and Friday (MWF). On MWF the Mailroom will be available for designated college staff to receive and drop off their mail practicing appropriate social distancing procedures.    

On special coordinated large batch mailings (student billings and disbursement checks), mailings will be dropped off with the Mailroom for application of postage, as necessary, and distribution to the post office by the designated Mailroom employee at a coordinated time.        

Departments should designate a single individual and backup responsibility for the pickup and electronic distribution of mail for their offices. The designated individual contact information should be sent by the department head to Kevin Miller at

The designated individual will be permitted to pick up mail from the Central Services Building (CSB) Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 10 a.m.-3 p.m.

Process for Pickup and Drop Off

In keeping with social distancing practices, individuals picking up mail should park in the front parking lot of CSB (Copy Center entrance), open their vehicle trunk and call 410-777-2404 to notify Mailroom staff that they have arrived and are requesting mail pick up and drop off as necessary. Mailroom staff will verify the individual in their vehicle (from an appropriate distance of at least 6 feet) and deliver the mail to the trunk of the employee’s vehicle.

The designated employee will then take the mail and distribute it electronically to the intended departmental recipients using email (for non-sensitive information), or other departmentally agreed upon procedures (e.g. scan and save to designated OneDrive folder). Mailroom staff will make a note of the time and date of delivery on a master schedule that will track the individuals receiving mail on behalf of each department.

Any outgoing mail should be left in the vehicle trunk for pickup by the mailroom staff during the drop off process.  

How will I receive orders that I am placing with vendors?

Document Services is currently receiving regular deliveries from UPS and FedEx on weekday mornings. Personnel will also be available to receive deliveries from other vendors arriving at the Central Receiving loading dock on weekday mornings. Coverage on weekday afternoons will be available on a more limited basis. To ensure that your delivery is received, please notify Kevin Miller at and include tracking information so we can plan accordingly. Since there is no physical access to buildings after April 1, the process for picking up your package(s) should follow the current mail pickup and drop off process (see How will I get my mail FAQ) at the Central Services Building. You will need to make alternate arrangements with Kevin Miller at to have it delivered to a specific campus location (this will require input from Public Safety and Facilities Maintenance).

What resources are available to work remotely?

Recruitments and Departmental Staffing Support

Can I replace a staff vacancy?

All non-critical recruitments have been suspended indefinitely. Consult with your supervising vice president for critical staffing replacements.

Can I hire temporary staff to support my department's operations?

Temporary staffing will only be authorized in limited situations by special exception. Federal Work Study students are excluded from this required authorization. Exceptions will only be permitted when existing college staff cannot be identified to meet critical operational and student facing functions due to unique and special technical training/knowledge. Complete the Temporary Employee Hiring Matrix located on the HR intranet for consideration of critical temporary staffing requests. You are encouraged to also consider using the Talent Share program in lieu of requesting temporary employees.

How can I get staffing support for my department’s operations?

Departments with work opportunities are encouraged to post job needs on the Talent Share page of the HR intranet. This program is designed to match work opportunities in departments experiencing high demand with employees from other departments who have the time and skills necessary to complete additional tasks. Human Resources will assist in identifying support for your needs as we limit the additional costs of temporary staffing while we monitor our revenues and expenses and begin a new fiscal year.


Where can I find information specifically for the Division of Learning?

There is COVID-19 page off of the Division of Learning intranet page for resources related to this crisis. Communications, policies, guidelines developed through shared governance and more will be archived there.

When should I communicate with my students?

For faculty and instructional staff who are teaching courses that have not yet begun, please reach out to students as early as possible.

How should attendance tracking be done this term now that all classes are being taught online?

Faculty need to only enter attendance once a week and ignore any other dates for that week.

What information can students access remotely from the library?

Library staff developed a guide for students focusing on online services and resources. This guide will be updated as needed. The orange banner at the top of the page appears on all of the other guide pages.  

There is also a link within Canvas for students generally to reach the library. In those classes with an embedded librarian, there are links to online resources, videos, and other resources to help specifically with that course content. The faculty member teaching the class makes the decision to have a librarian within the online course. 

Students with AACC ID cards should already be using the 13-digit barcode that appears on their card.

For those without an AACC ID card, students can complete a registration form. When this form is received by the library (it comes via email to the circulation desk account), a library card is issued and library staff emails the card number to the student. This applies during normal library open hours. During the time that the college is closed to in-person service, the hours are Monday-Thursday, 8 a.m.-9 p.m. and Friday 8 a.m.-4 p.m.  The library staff will also monitor for card requests periodically on weekends.

A student who is logged into Canvas can access most library databases from within Canvas. Staff have been able to set this up with some database vendors, but not all. We will periodically check back in with vendors to see if this status has changed.

What video conferencing technology does the college encourage faculty to use?

We are encouraging all faculty to use Microsoft Teams for video conferencing within classes. Having one conferencing tool for students in this time reduces the number of new things that students must learn. Teams is a reliable and stable product. Video conferences may be recorded and automatically transcribed. The transcription is then searchable by students. You can access additional how to videos in the Faculty Resource Community.

Health Attestation

All students, faculty, staff and visitors are required to complete an attestation form. Please complete the appropriate form and follow our instructions.