Maintaining F-1 Visa Status
U.S. law requires currently enrolled international students with an F-1 visa to maintain their F-1 student status.
Requirements to Maintain F-1 Status
As an international student, you must maintain your F-1 student status to stay enrolled in AACC. The requirements are extensive. We recommend you review the document below carefully to make sure you are in compliance. It is your responsibility to maintain legal status and abide by the regulations. The college must report updated information and violations of student status to the U.S. government using the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS), an electronic tracking system, within 21 days of violation.
Carefully read the document below and contact the international admissions specialist or director of admissions if you have any questions.
How to Maintain F-1 Student Status
- Attend the school listed on your current form I-20.
- Enroll in 12 credits or more every fall and spring term.
- Never enroll in more than one online class per term.
- Students taking ESL classes cannot enroll in any online classes.
- Do not drop below 12 credits without speaking to a designated school official (DSO) first.
- Attend and pass your classes.
- Obtain special permission from a DSO to work off campus.
- Report a change of address to DSO within 10 days of change.
- Keep your passport valid for at least six months into the future.
Follow the proper procedures when:
- Changing program or education level
- Extending I-20 (must apply for extension 30 days before the expiration date of your I-20)
- Transferring to another school
- Traveling outside of the United States