AACC’s Student Achievement and Success Program (SASP) team is committed to increasing the academic success, retention, graduation and transfer of students. Students are empowered to be successful, overcome challenges, and address obstacles through academic coaching and instructor-facilitated small lab settings.
We welcome all first generation, multi-generational, and non-traditional students of all cultural identities to join SASP. Our SASP program oversees the college’s military and veteran resources, and facilitates summer transition programs for students looking to spring-board their college experiences. Stop by the SASP office on the first floor of the Truxal Library in Arnold.
Janice D. Watley
Student Achievement and Success Program director
As director of Student Achievement and Success Program (SASP), Ms. Watley:
- Provides leadership and administrative oversight of all functions of SASP, First Year Experience (FYE), summer transition programs (Summer Bridge, Adelante, FYE Bridge, Summer Bridge@AMIL), Black Male Initiative (BMI), SASP Faculty-Led Tutoring Lab, collaborative high school initiatives, and the Military Veterans Resource Center (MVRC).
- Facilitates the selection process of awarding SASP scholarships.
- Serves as the initial point of contact at AACC for Morgan Connect Program and Coppin Project Focus.
- Serves as the co-advisor for Epsilon Chi, AACC’s chapter of Chi Alpha Epsilon National Honor Society.
Student Achievement and Success Program assistant director
- Assist the director in the development, implementation, and coordination of various SASP initiatives, activities, and projects to improve the academic success, persistence, and completion of students.
- Responsible for coordination, recruitment of students, planning, assessment, and budget for college's Black Male Initiative (BMI) and BMI20.
- Direct responsibility for developing, implementing, evaluating, coordination, and monitoring the budget and expenditures of summer transition, Black Male Initiative, new outreach initiatives, Arundel Mills and Glen Burnie Town Center off campus sites and collaboration/transition programs with Anne Arundel County Public Schools.
Student Success and Retention advisor
- Advises a designated caseload of students who attend the Arnold and Arundel Mills locations.
- Advises SASP students on the Arundel Mills campus on Tuesdays during the academic year.
- Organizes the SASP group campus visits to four-year schools.
- Co-leads the 'Women of Color' affinity group in the SASP Bridge to Success summer transition program for recent high school graduates.
- Facilitates outreach initiatives at Annapolis High School.
Student Success and Retention advisor
- Advises a designated caseload of students who attend the Arnold, GBTC, and Arundel Mills locations.
- Makes initial contact with prospective AACC students.
- Organizes the Hispanic Heritage Month events on campus in September-October.
- Co-leads the 'Latinx' affinity group in the SASP Bridge to Success summer transition program for recent high school graduates.
- Collaborates with community members on activities promoting the Hispanic culture in Anne Arundel County.
Jill Z. Harris
SASP Office Manager
- Serves students participating in the Student Achievement and Success Program and related initiatives.
- Assists students’ transition from one phase of their lives to college.
- Contributes to the SASP team in delivering effective programs and services and provides administrative support.
Transition specialist (military/veteran services)
- Serves as an initial point of contact for new and continuing military-connected students.
- Assists with the daily operations of the Military/Veteran Resource Center (MVRC).
- Helps veterans connect with needed campus and community services and resources.
Student Success and Retention advisor (military/veteran services)
- Serves as an advisor and advocate for new and continuing military, veterans and their family members to assist with academic, support and transition issues.
- Advises veterans in creating an education plan and GI Benefits.
- Manages the daily operations of the Military/Veteran Resource Center (MVRC).
- Advises a designated caseload of SASP students who attend courses online and at the Arnold, GBTC, and Arundel Mills locations.
- Advises the AACC chapter of the Student Veterans of America (SVA) organization.
- Provides training to students, faculty and staff on the unique needs of veterans and their families.
- Co-leads the 'Fusion' affinity group in the SASP Bridge to Success summer transition program for recent high school graduates.
- Assists in outreach activities at North County High School.
To prevent the further spread of COVID-19, AACC student services will be provided remotely beginning April 2.
Visit our COVID-19 page for details or review the student FAQ for a list of remote contacts.