Who can borrow library materials?
- AACC students, faculty and staff
- Residents and those working in Anne Arundel County may use the library and borrow materials.
- Patrons under the age of 16 may use the library and borrow materials. An application for a library card must be signed by the patron’s parent or guardian.
- Faculty from other colleges and universities may borrow materials once they have registered for a library card.
- Students at other Maryland community colleges who can present evidence of enrollment at their home college. Materials must be returned to the library from which they were borrowed.
Checkout and Return of Materials
Borrowers must present their library card at the time of transaction in order to borrow circulating and reserve materials. Library cards may be obtained and/or replaced in person, at the Circulation Desk. Patrons are responsible for all items on their library account.
- Distance education students may apply for a library card online. Only AACC students taking online classes or courses not held at Arnold may apply online. All others must visit the library.
- Those attending classes or teaching at GBTC, AMIL, HCAT or Fort Meade may request delivery of library materials to those locations.
- AACC students may borrow circulating books for 28 days and renew the books up to four times for an additional 28 days if those books are not in demand.
- AACC faculty and staff may borrow circulating books for 120 days and renew the books for an additional 120 days if those items are not in demand.
- Loan and renewal periods for other borrowers vary. Contacting the Circulation Desk for details at 410-777-2238.
Overdue Materials and Fines
Fines for overdue books accumulate at the rate of 20 cents per day to a maximum of $6 per book for student and county residents. Fines on other materials vary. Overdue notices are mailed once an item is five days overdue.
Books typically may be renewed as long as they have not been requested by another patron and your outstanding fines total less than $6.
- If your fines are under $6, you may renew your materials online by logging into your library account in the library catalog, calling the Circulation Desk at 410-777-2238 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
If your fines exceed $6 or you have reached your renewal limit, you will be unable to renew materials. Return them and pay any associated fines.
- Contact the Circulation Desk at 410-777-2238 or email@example.com if you have questions about your library record or our overdue policies.
Lost or damaged items must be paid for by the borrower. Unresolved accounts may be forwarded to a collection agency, in which case you will be held responsible for all library fines, reasonable attorney's fees and collection costs.
Patrons must resolve all outstanding library obligations including payment of overdue fines and lost item bills in order to register for AACC courses or obtain college transcripts.
Reserved readings and audiovisual items may be borrowed for three hours, overnight or for other periods as indicated by the instructor.
Fines for overdue materials in this category accumulate per item on either an hourly or daily basis for student and county resident accounts. Fine rates are printed on the label of each item. Most reserved course materials have a maximum fine of $70.
- Many reserved items may be used only in the library.
- Most reserved materials that circulate outside the library may not be renewed.