Back to Top
The AACC VITA program is closed for the 2022 tax year! We will see you next year!

People in Volunteer Income Tax Assistance session

Do you want your tax returns done fast and free? 

AACC's VITA program is your solution!

The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program through AACC's School of Business and Law is a free, no-strings-attached service providing income tax assistance, preparation, review and e-filing of returns for taxpayers who earned less than $60,000 in 2022. This includes both federal and state returns.

What to Expect

VITA 2023 will be offered in two formats, all requiring prior appointments:


  • Traditional face-to-face format. The return is prepared at our Arnold location while the taxpayer is present, promptly filed and a copy of the return provided to the taxpayer. These appointments are limited. AACC’s current COVID-19 protocols will apply.
  • Drop-off model. By prior appointment at our Glen Burnie location, the taxpayer meets with a volunteer for the interview process, provides all documentation to the volunteer for scan and copy, and the tax return is prepared after the taxpayer leaves. The return usually will be prepared in a week and a copy will be electronically returned in a secured format to the taxpayer for review, or the taxpayer will be notified of the pick-up date and time. Once authorized by the taxpayer, the return will be e-filed. AACC’s current COVID-19 protocol will apply.

Your federal and state returns are prepared by AACC students and alumni who have gone through extensive training and have passed the IRS volunteer examinations. These volunteers are supervised by AACC Business Administration/Accounting faculty members and AACC staff, many of whom are certified public accountants. During your appointment, we will meet with you, discuss your tax situation and prepare your federal and state returns. Returns will then be e-filed. If a refund is due, that money can be deposited directly into your bank account, often within a matter of days.

The program is coordinated by Oksana Fisher, C.P.A., assistant professor of Business Administration

Appointments are available, in Arnold, Wednesdays and Saturdays beginning February 8, 2023, and ending April 8, 2023.

  • Wednesdays from 3:30-6:30 p.m.
  • Saturdays from 10 a.m.-12:00 p.m.
  • This VITA site is closed March 18 and March 25 for spring break.

Drop-off appointments are available at Glen Burnie Town Center on Saturday, March 4 and March 11 only.

  • Saturdays from 10:00-11:45

For information call our VITA office at 410-777-2051 or e-mail

Related Resources

Internal Revenue Service (IRS)

Cash Campaign for Maryland

Prepare for Your Appointment

VITA is free, but you still must prepare for your appointment.

Before meeting with the tax preparer at AACC for your scheduled appointment, review the following information and find out what important documents and forms you need to bring with you. 

If you have a complex return, you are encouraged to see a professional preparer for assistance.

Required Documents

Bring these items to your appointment with the tax preparer.

Required Documents

  • **REQUIRED** Social Security cards for you, your spouse and dependents
    • An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter may be substituted for you, your spouse and your dependents if you do not have a Social Security number.
  • **REQUIRED** Proof of identification (photo ID) for yourself and/or your spouse
    • For married couples filing jointly, both spouses must be present
  • Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
  • All W2s, 1099 and 1098 forms (Wages and Interest)
  • Forms 1095-A, B or C (health coverage statements)
  • Health Insurance Exemption Certificate, if received
  • A copy of last year's federal and state returns, if available
  • Proof of bank account routing and account numbers for direct deposit such as blank check
  • Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider's tax identifying number such as their Social Security number or business Employer Identification Number
  • Other Documents Needed (if applicable)

  • Documentation of all income sources
  • Documentation of all deductions/credits
  • Cancellation of debt (Form 1099-C)
  • Earned Income Credit (will file if qualified)
  • Education Credits (will file if qualified)
  • If claiming the Education credit, bring form 1098-T and a statement from the school showing charges and payments.
  • Dividends received (Form 1099-Div)
  • Interest Income (Form 1099-INT)
  • Capital Gains/Loss (Form 1099-B)
  • IRA Distributions (Form 1099-R)
  • Pension Income (Form 1099-R, RRB-1099, CSA-1099)
  • Social Security Benefits (SSA-1099)
  • State Tax Refunds (Form 1099-G)
  • Unemployment Benefits (Form 1099-G)
  • Self-employed Income (1099-Misc)
  • Gambling Winnings (Form W-2G)
  • Mortgage Interest (Form 1098)
  • Tuition Statement (Form 1098-T)
  • Itemized Deduction list (limited)
  • Schedule C information (limited)
  • Schedule E information (limited)

Tax Forms Not Prepared by AACC

  • Prior Year and Amended Return
  • Form 1040 Nonresident
  • Complicated Schedule C with losses
  • Complicated and advanced Schedule D (capital gains and losses)
  • Federal employment taxes and income tax withholding
  • Form SS-5 (request for Social Security number)
  • Form SS-8 (determination of worker status)
  • Form 8606 (Nondeductible IRA)
  • Form 8615 (minors investment income)


We're here to help.

School of Business and Law
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance